I know nothing! Hoping to get opinions

Gadragonfly

Gold Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Apr 16, 2017
Fairburn, Georgia
Our story starts with a lady who spent $50K for a pool yet her contractor failed to take into account the terrain and every time it rained mud from a nearby incline would wash into her pool. She decided to have the pool filled in and wanted to sell her SWG and related equipment. She was a friend of our friend (and realtor) so we ended up buying the equipment from her for $650.00. Our pool had to have extensive repairs (bought house this past November) and we asked the owner of our pool repair company if he would also swap the current chlorine system over to the SWG equipment. He agreed and quoted us a price for the conversion. On the day he was going to make the conversion I got two phone calls. The first was to tell me that the sand filter currently installed was much better than the "cartridge" filter we had asked him to install and that he didn't recommend we do that. He told us the "cartridge" filter would require a lot more maintenance. Since we knew nothing about any of this I agreed. The second call was to tell me that the SWG we had purchased required 240 V power and we didn't have 240 V out to the pool so he couldn't make the swap. I'm beginning to think that we had a lazy contractor because within a few minutes of searching online I discovered that the SWG we had (Jandy AquaPro) could indeed be rewired to accommodate 120 V. I'm wondering if we should pursue making the switch and what others think about the advice we were given. Below are pictures of the equipment we purchased. Thank you in advance for any opinions and/or advice you can give me. (I realize your opinion is limited by the fact that I don't know how old the equipment is or the condition).

Filter.jpg

Filter2.jpg

4.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

Booster Pump.jpg

For a 24k pool, I would have suggested a minimum of a 28" diameter sand filter or 350 sqft cartridge filter.
You have a 24" sand filter right now (which is about 25% smaller than I would suggest).
That cartridge is 460 sqft which is 30% larger than I would have suggested.

IMO, I would go with the cartridge filter. The cartridge will be a bit more of a pain if you let the pool get algae, but it will require much less attention than the sand just due to the size. You either need to backwash or clean the cartridges when the pressure rises 20-25% over the clean pressure.

But, you likely want to open up the filter and inspect the cartridges. If they need to be replaced, you are looking at >$200.

For a 24k pool, I would have suggested a minimum of a 28" diameter sand filter or 350 sqft cartridge filter.
You have a 24" sand filter right now (which is about 25% smaller than I would suggest).
That cartridge is 460 sqft which is 30% larger than I would have suggested.

IMO, I would go with the cartridge filter. The cartridge will be a bit more of a pain if you let the pool get algae, but it will require much less attention than the sand just due to the size. You either need to backwash or clean the cartridges when the pressure rises 20-25% over the clean pressure.

But, you likely want to open up the filter and inspect the cartridges. If they need to be replaced, you are looking at >$200.

Thank you.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.