Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool opening today. Help please!!

1. Back To Top    #1

Question Pool opening today. Help please!!

Hi all

Long story short, we bought this house that came with the inground salt water pool ( 22100 gallons ). We moved in last year in late July. Hired a pool company to closed the pool for us and also purchased a pool safety cover as well.
    Today, I hired a different company to open the pool for me. Also purchased a Pentair superflow vs pump as well. When they open the cover, I was shocked because my whole pool was green with a lot of stuff flowing on top as well. Also, there are SO MANY worms!!?? Is that even normal?
    Not really sure what they dumped into my pool after the safety cover was off. I think is some kinda pool opening kit?? Anyway, I've been trying to skim the surface as much as I could. And also had my Polaris robot vacuuming at the same time for hours.... Still, have so much stuff flowing ( like seaweeds )
    Not sure what to do next? I also did some water testing as well with my Lamotte color pro Q7. And Hach Pocket pro Salinity & Temp tester.
    Here are the reading FCL 0.53
    TCL 0.72
    PH 7.7
    ALY 110
    CH 182
    CYA 13
    Salt reading is 3.73 (ppt) & temp is 14.5c

Please kindly direct me what to do next?
    ( Built 6yrs ago by the previous owner, we moved in last year in late July ) 22100 Gal inground salt water pool. Pentair Superflow VS pump( upgraded this year in May 2017 ). Jandy heat pump model AE-TI. Jandy Cartridge filter CV & CL series. Zodiac Clearwater LM2. Lamotte 2056 Color Q Pro 7 ( Sorry, I know is not recommended but I purchased that before I join this group ). Hach pocket Pro Salinity tester. Polaris P955 4WD Robotic cleaner.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool opening today. Help please!!

Welcome to TFP!!!

Bottom line: You need to follow the SLAM.

One issue though is that we do not trust the Color Q and it will not likely read a high enough FC to correctly follow the SLAM process, especially once CYA is in the water. So, you really should order one of the recommended test kits to get started.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks!!
    ( Built 6yrs ago by the previous owner, we moved in last year in late July ) 22100 Gal inground salt water pool. Pentair Superflow VS pump( upgraded this year in May 2017 ). Jandy heat pump model AE-TI. Jandy Cartridge filter CV & CL series. Zodiac Clearwater LM2. Lamotte 2056 Color Q Pro 7 ( Sorry, I know is not recommended but I purchased that before I join this group ). Hach pocket Pro Salinity tester. Polaris P955 4WD Robotic cleaner.

4. Back To Top    #4

Regarding worms: yes, I had a ton of worms in the pool on opening this year. My robot sucked them up. Pretty gross to clean out.

Regarding your chemistry: if your numbers are to be trusted, FC is low as well as cya for a salt pool. Also, something is way off with your salt reading. I don't know if any home use analysis that can read in the parts per trillion. Is your SWG indicating that the salt is okay?

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for your replied.
    I used the Hach Pocket pro Salinity & Temp tester to test my salt level. But possibly I did it wrong?!
    My SWG (Zodiac LM2 Clearwater ) also indicating salt is low as well
    Attachment 60805

6. Back To Top    #6

Ppt in this instance has to be parts per thousand. Which would be 3730 ppm
    310 gallon Tiger River Sumatran Spa, covered, standalone, fiberglass, Bleach
    11,000 gallon in-ground plaster pool, Hayward SmartFilter 550 (cartridge), CompuPool(Hayward) T-15 SWG, Hayward Super II pump
    Taylor Test Kit K-2006C, K-1766, SampleSizer, SpeedStir, Polaris P825

7. Back To Top    #7

Parts per thousand makes more sense. In that case, salt level would be okay. Your SWG reading low salt may be because of cold water. Mine will do that too.

With that, I would still follow Jason's recommendation to perform a SLAM.

8. Back To Top    #8

Thank you!!