PH not going down after adding muriatic acid (MA)

Apr 30, 2017
Temecula/CA
Hello

I am trying to lower TA per what I've read on the site. TA is 130 and I'm targeting 110. In my attempt to lower PH to 7.0-7.2, I have added 10-12 cups of MA. PH was 7.5-7.6 before adding MA. After waiting an hour or so, and re-testing PH, there is very little change.

Of note: I've added 1 gallon liquid chlorine today as well as Calcium chloride (25 lbs) to raise my CH level from 150 to 300 ppm. Also, in the summer months PH in my pool always tends to rise requiring frequent MA additions.

I'd prefer to get some input from the forum before continuing to add additional MA.

Thanks

Muriatic acid is the weapon of choice for lowering pH and TA. To lower pH from 7.6 to 7.0 should take about 1 quart, 1 cup and 6 ounces of 31.45% strength (about 5 1/2 cups). Any chance you were using the 15% strength sold at some stores?

By the way .... welcome to TFP! :wave:

yes...just under 15% :mad:....14.5% from home Depot. Can you recommend a place to find the stronger stuff ?

along the same topic...I use home depot 10% liquid chlorine....is there a better sanitizer I can use ?

Thanks...and I'm glad to have joined TFP

If you're at HD, look for this:
dbtgallery.php

If you're at Lowe's look for this:
dbtgallery.php

Otherwise, you can just MA at the local pool store. :) That's where I get mine.

As for bleach, I just hit the local grocery store for regular/plain 8.25% bleach for about $2.94 a gallon. :)

Sometimes those MA bottles are in the paint dept at the big box stores.

yes...just under 15% :mad:....14.5% from home Depot. Can you recommend a place to find the stronger stuff ?

along the same topic...I use home depot 10% liquid chlorine....is there a better sanitizer I can use ?

I shop for MA (31.45%) at Leslie's in Temecula. If you do the math, they're reasonably cheaper than Lowe's or HD. Just don't let them sell you anything else. I have SWCG but I get the 10% liquid chlorine at Walmart when needed during cold season.

Our city water supply has TA of 125 ppm and CH of 175. I lowered my TA down to 50 ppm and it significantly reduced MA consumption.

Here's what I did to lower my TA https://www.troublefreepool.com/content/129-how-to-lower-lowering-total-alkalinity

Based on another poster's experience, California likes to "protect you" by not allowing Home Depot to sell the more concentrated stuff. This is one item you may want to check a pool store for. Just ignore their attempts to sell you other things. Repeat the mantra "Thank you sir, but I'm only here for muriatic acid today, I don't need anything else." over and over while you're in the store. :)

Look for private pool stores, not chains stores, for acid and chlorine. In the Long Beach area those stores are cheaper than the big box stores and Leslie's. They buy it in bulk and have refillable containers that make it cheaper.

I shop for MA (31.45%) at Leslie's in Temecula. If you do the math, they're reasonably cheaper than Lowe's or HD. Just don't let them sell you anything else. I have SWCG but I get the 10% liquid chlorine at Walmart when needed during cold season.

Our city water supply has TA of 125 ppm and CH of 175. I lowered my TA down to 50 ppm and it significantly reduced MA consumption.

Here's what I did to lower my TA https://www.troublefreepool.com/content/129-how-to-lower-lowering-total-alkalinity

Hi Meadow! meadowview by chance?i live in RedHawk! Was just at Leslie's on 79,today, getting MA! Small work!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.