Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What's a good salt to buy and where is the best place to buy it?

1. Back To Top    #1

What's a good salt to buy and where is the best place to buy it?

I just installed my Jandy Apure35 SWG and I need to buy some salt for it. On my last pool I just picked up some water softener salt from Home Depot, but I was wondering if there was a better alternative.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What's a good salt to buy and where is the best place to buy it?

That will work fine.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

That is fine. The only difference with "Pool Salt" is that it dissolves guicker. I can wait an extra ten minutes to save a couple dollars per bag. Just be sure it's pure salt, no additives. Some softener salt has chemical additives.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, H400 & Heliocol Solar, Dolphin S-300, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit, Smart Home/Alexa pool control

4. Back To Top    #4

Gallons: 5000 Gallons
    Pool: 15' Saltwater 5000
    Filter: Pentair 1 HP Optiflow Pump w/ Clean & Clear 75Sq Ft Cartridge Filter
    SWG: Intex CS8110

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

I think I'm the only one on the forum who regularly uses 25# bags of non iodized granulated salt. It dissolves FAST !! I work for a foodservice distribution company and with my employee discount it's the best value hands down. But without the inside advantage I doubt restaurant depot or SAMs would be comparable on granulated as big box stores are on pool salt.
    18*36*23 true "L" vinyl IG 29,000 gallons. SWG. TF-100 test kit.
    http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

I buy the solar salt richie mentions above from a local hardware store and they have a card that they stamp from the salt company to buy 9 bags get the 10th free. Ask whoever you buy the salt from if they have those cards.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by richierich View Post

Yes, solar salt is fine to use.
    TFP Moderator
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

8. Back To Top    #8

Just got back from the Depot and they actually had pool salt for $1 more a bag so I just picked that up. Thanks for the help, I'm sure the question had been asked before but I couldn't find it when searching.

9. Back To Top    #9

Pool salt is fine to use too.
    TFP Moderator

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by richierich View Post
    It's interesting that they list this as 99.6% pure, and this one Bright Salt is listed as 99.8% pure, but yet after putting 4 bags of this over 4 days, I now have a yellow stain on my liner I've used this salt before and it didn't do this. The only difference was I poured it in from the deep end to the shallow end, and it's the deep end that stained.

Any way to remove the stain? Brushing is not helping.
    27000 gal 18x36 rectangle In-Ground built in 1978
    Vinyl liner, 3/4hp Hayward Super pump, single speed 3450rpm
    SWG: Hayward Aquarite AQR15
    Sand Filter: 300 pound sta-rite T-240BP-1, 3.14 sqft surface area
    K-2006 Test kit

11. Back To Top    #11

Now I'm worried to put in my pool. I usually use mortons but as others had mentioned sometimes they have rocks and shells in them.
    Gallons: 5000 Gallons
    Pool: 15' Saltwater 5000
    Filter: Pentair 1 HP Optiflow Pump w/ Clean & Clear 75Sq Ft Cartridge Filter
    SWG: Intex CS8110

12. Back To Top    #12

For the $1.50 a bag extra for the pool salt, it was worth the peace of mind. My salt level is still low so I am headed back for more.

Jay...12,500 gallon freeform pool and attached spa w/ Bullfrog Oscillator & ClusterSpray Jetpaks
    Jandy 2hp VS pump(main), Jandy 2hp Stealth pump(Jetpaks), Jandy 1hp Stealth pump(water features) Jandy CL-580 filter, Jandy Watercolors LED lighting, Jandy Aqualink RS8(revision MM) w/Aquapalm, Autelis Controller, Onetouch controller, Jandy Aquapure 1400 SWG, Jandy LXi 400k heater, Paramount PV3 6 zone infloor cleaning system