What's a good salt to buy and where is the best place to buy it?

Owner/Builder

Jul 29, 2011
Las Vegas, Nevada
I just installed my Jandy Apure35 SWG and I need to buy some salt for it. On my last pool I just picked up some water softener salt from Home Depot, but I was wondering if there was a better alternative.

chiefwej

LifeTime Supporter
TFP Guide
Jun 12, 2011
Tucson
That is fine. The only difference with "Pool Salt" is that it dissolves guicker. I can wait an extra ten minutes to save a couple dollars per bag. Just be sure it's pure salt, no additives. Some softener salt has chemical additives.

AimeeH

LifeTime Supporter
TFP Guide
Apr 2, 2012
Columbia SC
I think I'm the only one on the forum who regularly uses 25# bags of non iodized granulated salt. It dissolves FAST !! I work for a foodservice distribution company and with my employee discount it's the best value hands down. But without the inside advantage I doubt restaurant depot or SAMs would be comparable on granulated as big box stores are on pool salt.

OTPirate

Admin
In The Industry
Oct 2, 2013
Creedmoor, NC
I buy the solar salt richie mentions above from a local hardware store and they have a card that they stamp from the salt company to buy 9 bags get the 10th free. Ask whoever you buy the salt from if they have those cards.

OP
OP
O

Owner/Builder

Jul 29, 2011
Las Vegas, Nevada
Just got back from the Depot and they actually had pool salt for $1 more a bag so I just picked that up. Thanks for the help, I'm sure the question had been asked before but I couldn't find it when searching.

x2rider

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 19, 2011
Bartlesville, OK
It's interesting that they list this as 99.6% pure, and this one Bright Salt is listed as 99.8% pure, but yet after putting 4 bags of this over 4 days, I now have a yellow stain on my liner :( I've used this salt before and it didn't do this. The only difference was I poured it in from the deep end to the shallow end, and it's the deep end that stained.

Any way to remove the stain? Brushing is not helping.