Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Filter sizing question

1. Back To Top    #1

Filter sizing question

When I purchased my pool used it came with a Hayward s166t1580s and a junk 1 hp pump! I upgraded the pump with a 1.5 power flo lx. This is for a 27' x52" pool did I mess up by oversizing my pump is it gonna filter right? Or is it to much power for it. I kinda think this filter might be on the small size for a 27' pool thanks for any input!
    27' AGP, gorilla pad, 52" deep, circu pool sj40 SWG, Hayward s220t sand filter and 1.5hp Hayward pump, diy solar panels 600' 1/2" tubing

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Filter sizing question

Yes your pump is to big now. Surprised that you don't see debris spit back into the pool when cutting the pump on. "my problem" You will need to drop down to a good 3/4hp or so pump/motor or go up to a sand filter of 300lbs or greater or another type of filter.
    23,000 in-ground salt water pool with liner, 1.5 HP 2 speed Pentair pump, Hayword C4025 cartridge filter, Jandy SWG.

3. Back To Top    #3

I have not used the setup yet as I am still putting up the pool
    27' AGP, gorilla pad, 52" deep, circu pool sj40 SWG, Hayward s220t sand filter and 1.5hp Hayward pump, diy solar panels 600' 1/2" tubing

4. Back To Top    #4

Edited did a duplicate sorry
    Attached Images Attached Images

5. Back To Top    #5

IMG_4092.jpgIMG_4091.jpgThere's not a lot of difference between the 1hp and the 1.5hp GPM am I still ok for the S166T filter with only 1.40 ft filter area or is it a lot bigger difference than I think? Am I ok or do I need to get bigger filter?

6. Back To Top    #6

The design flow rate for your filter is 30 GPM. Your pump is going to be putting out at least 2 times that amount.

The pump is really not that big, but it is efficient. Really your filter is just too small for the pool.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

I
    Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    The design flow rate for your filter is 30 GPM. Your pump is going to be putting out at least 2 times that amount.

The pump is really not that big, but it is efficient. Really your filter is just too small for the pool.
    I found a good deal on a Hayward s244s sand filter is to big for what I have and also can it be used for aboveground pool as they say it's for an inground?

8. Back To Top    #8

There's really no such thing as an above-ground sand filter versus an in ground sand filter. You also really can't go too big on filters.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!