Wish I found this forum before building....Not too late? Pics!

Hello and Welcome to TFP!
Nice pool you have there. If I could make a couple more recommendations. Since your builder agreed to replace the Frog system, you should request a couple more changes while he is at it. See what he says.

Your pump is a singe speed. request a 2 speed pump. The system has unions in it so it should be a fairly simple swap out. If the cost delta isn't much, you will get that money back in short time by running on LS most of the time. There is just a simple switch on the back of the motor you can manually operate.

Have them replace the gate valves and use ball valves. There are varying grades of ball valves, but most are better than those gate valves. He may be able to tie into the unions there already as well. The builder probably wont like this request and may give you a high adder to do this, but try to negotiate and see what he says.

When he does the startup chemicals (if it is part of the contract) politely ask that he doesn't use anything with copper in it (algaecide).

If the sides aren't backfilled, how much water is in there? Just enough to set the liner?

20170508_163549_zpsb1dj1bei.jpg

20170506_072847_zpsq94yvxme.jpg

If the sides aren't backfilled, how much water is in there? Just enough to set the liner?

Dave, thanks for your thoughts. They just finished backfilling last night. The pool is completely full and as of last night the plumbing and electrical work is not completely done. Hopefully today or tomorrow it will be. I am going to ask the builder about a better, 2 speed pump but as much as I agree that ball valves would be preferable, I don't think I am gonna press him about changing out all of the valves. I will also ask about the startup chemicals. I agree, I do not want him adding any algaecides.

Can I start adding chlorine at this point? Not sure how I would mix it. Supposedly he is supplying a hand skimmer and pole but I haven't seen one yet. I am going to stop on my way home tonight and pick up a pole and a brush. I'm guessing it will be convenient to have a second pole anyway.

See what the builder will do for you.
Not all algaecide are bad and in this case may be warranted since you may be a few days without circulation. Polyquat algaecide is OK and often recommended when people close for the season. It is the copper containing formulas that are the worst.
The pool is probably OK for a couple days without chlorine if you think they will wrap up by then. If you think it will take longer then you could add some. Take the bottle of bleach and walk around the edges and gently pour it in away from the walls as best you can. Take the brush on the pole and walk a few laps around the pool with the brush on the bottom. That should be good enough for now.
A half jug will get you a bit over 2ppm on 19,000 gallons. If it's sunny out, it won't last long with no CYA in there but it may help prevent a break out. If you do it late in the evening as the sun is almost down, it should hold all night and into the morning.
Grab some bottles of bleach while you're out.

Thanks Dave. I already have the bleach, CYA stockpiled in the garage. The pool has been filled for well over a week now. Really hoping they wrap up this week but I don't know. Electrician will be here tomorrow to complete his work so hopefully can get pump running then.

Do you have a small submersible pump like a sump pump or cover pump? You can put that in the water and just let it move water around to help you circulate chemicals. If you can get the water mixing around you can start dissolving your CYA shooting for 30ppm and work on getting your pH adjusted to 7.5. You don't really want to add chlorine without the stabilizer. Use your test kit and pool math to get your numbers adjusted.

If you can get the water moving and CYA going then you can add some chlorine slowly to get to around 4ppm based on a target of 30ppm CYA.

Do you have a small submersible pump like a sump pump or cover pump? You can put that in the water and just let it move water around to help you circulate chemicals. If you can get the water mixing around you can start dissolving your CYA shooting for 30ppm and work on getting your pH adjusted to 7.5. You don't really want to add chlorine without the stabilizer. Use your test kit and pool math to get your numbers adjusted.

If you can get the water moving and CYA going then you can add some chlorine slowly to get to around 4ppm based on a target of 30ppm CYA.

Thank you very much. I do not have a spare pump unfortunately. I have liquid CYA. Is liquid or powdered preferred? I saw powdered at walmart the other day.

Either is fine the liquid is just more expensive. But since you have liquid cya you can mix that in with a brush and it doesn't have to dissolve. I would dose your pool with about half as much liquid cya that pool math recommends mix it with a brush and test with your kit. Make an adjustment for pH there mix and test. Do both of those steps one more time then get some chlorine in there. Follow the chart for cya to chlorine ratio based on your test results.

Thanks guys!

OK, pump and filter are up and running. I am assuming the CYA level is zero to start as it was just filled with city water a week ago and nothing has been added yet? Other initial test results below. Pool math says 187oz of CYA. This bottle says active ingredient CYA.....24.92%. I assuming thats the only way the liquid CYA comes? I'm guessing just slowly add the whole gallon to start while mixing with the brush? I forgot to grab a bag of baking soda. Pool math says I'm going to need over 5 pounds of it to get TA up and raise the pH a little. Is that right? Should I just start with a couple pounds at first?

TC = 0
pH = 7.2
TA = 40

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks guys!

OK, pump and filter are up and running. I am assuming the CYA level is zero to start as it was just filled with city water a week ago and nothing has been added yet? Other initial test results below. Pool math says 187oz of CYA. This bottle says active ingredient CYA.....24.92%. I assuming thats the only way the liquid CYA comes? I'm guessing just slowly add the whole gallon to start while mixing with the brush? I forgot to grab a bag of baking soda. Pool math says I'm going to need over 5 pounds of it to get TA up and raise the pH a little. Is that right? Should I just start with a couple pounds at first?

TC = 0
pH = 7.2
TA = 40
CYA comes in granular form as well, which is much cheaper and more available than liquid.

With adding baking soda, or any chemical for that matter, it never hurts to add a smaller amount and re-test. It's easier to make small adjustments than large ones in the event you made any testing/pool math errors.

OK, pretty sure I've already made my first blunders. Didn't take long! :mad: Made the mistake of listening to the builder yesterday that was there finishing up the last of their work. He said to just thrown a couple gallons of chlorine in and some stabilizer. Which I did thinking that since the chlorine level was zero in an 18000 gal pool, two probably wasn't even enough. Now I plugged the numbers into pool math and find out it was way too much. Its the 8.25% stuff. Also put a gallon of liquid CYA in. The 24.92% stuff. So how bad is it?

A couple more things....
When I woke up this am I looked out at pool and noticed the water wasn't circulating. So I went around and checked on the pump and it was running. We had severe t-storms overnight. Doesn't appear we lost power but I'm confused why the pump was running but not working. I shut the pump down and restarted it and all seemed fine then. The water was very cloudy though.

I also put a knee high nylon on my skimmer basket this morning thinking it was the right thing to do but now I'm thinking it will get very clogged as I am not going to be able to clean or change it until this evening when I get home.

One last thing. There is some dirt on the floor of the pool from the backfilling process. No a lot but some clumps and a few small rocks as well. Whats the best way to go about cleaning this. I do not have a vaccuum yet. Builder hasn't provided me yet. I have a pole and leaf rake that I purchased myself.

Too much chlorine is not a big issue, it'll come down on it's own.

I've had to toggle my pump's breaker after a storm as well, I don't think it's super unusual.

If you don't have a vac and the solid particles aren't huge, sweep the dirt towards your main drains. Pole vacs are super cheap though. Get the rocks out with a pole net.

You're probably ok. If all you've used is 2 gallons of 8.25% bleach and 1 gallon of liquid stabilizer, you probably raised CYA to around 21ppm and FC to 9ppm. You'll get some FC loss from the sun, but it's still less than shock level.

To clean the rocks/dirt, well, you have a leaf rake - get to raking. :) At least that will get rocks up, and dirt will either come too or dissolve and get filtered out.

Nylon in skimmer shouldn't get to a dangerous level during the day if your water is still somewhat new. I use hairnets instead, but they survive up to 3 days if there's nothing crazy going on.

Anymore pictures?!

LOL, trading pictures of our builds. :D

This is the latest picture I have. Its how it sits today. Dirt, temporary fence and all! We continue to wait the required six weeks for the backfill to settle. As you can see from the original pictures the soil has settled at least 6 inches. I went and decided to put landscape fabric down around the pool to stop the dirt from splashing into the pool during heavy rains. The pool deck company is starting their work in two weeks...July 5 and oh my gosh we cannot WAIT for the work to be done because the dirt is a nightmare lol. I will update once the concrete work is done.

20170602_184222_zpsi5v5ej9s.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.