Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Propane Heater Advice

1. Back To Top    #1

Question Propane Heater Advice

We are in the country so no gas and electric would be too $$ to bring out to the pool. So we are going with propane. We have a 33K gallon pool and have been advised that a 400,000 BTU is what we need. We are looking at the Hayward H400FDP and have someone who will install it for $250 (plus the propane people). The pool store quoted $3400 installed, so $1200 more than if we buy on our own and our guy (does side jobs) installs.

Can someone confirm that this is the right heater for us? We are in Maryland and last year (our first year in the house) I didn't want to get in until mid-late July. We don't need it 90 degrees, but mid 70s is perfect. Also few questions:

• should we use a blanket on it at night and if so, any tips on how to best deal with these? Reel? Fold it up?
    • Is there an efficiency calculator so I can figure the price of propane to run it?

Many thanks!
    33,000 gal; plaster (peeling), in-ground, DE filter, pentair variable speed pump, fed by well water,

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Propane Heater Advice

Try the search box upper right for Calculator propane. I know somewhere on the site there was a calculator/spreadsheet.

And yes, use a solar blanket. When I bothered with one I just dragged it out and heaped it on the deck.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

If you think electric is expensive wait till you get your first propane bill.....

Heat pumps are way more efficient than you might be lead to believe and they work. I would really consider solar panels over propane if you have the sun and space for them.

If you are heating with any type of heater a solar cover is a must when you aren't in the pool. The convective and evaporative heat losses only get higher once you add heat above ambient temp. It's not until heard of for a heated pool to lose 10 degrees or more overnight if it's not covered. That same pool cover will lose only 2-4 degrees.
    Chuck-
    15x30 AG, Pentair Superflo VS, 19" sand filter, TF-100 test kit
    Aqua Comfort ACT750 heat pump / 6x20 ground mount solar panel / DIY automation

Photos of 2016 Build, Inside Your Breaker Panel, Free Copy of 2017 NEC code
    TFP is AD Free and is funded solely by member support click here to help

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

You would be better served buying a Raypak. As for the propane cost, well it all depends on how much you plan to sue and when. Just remember, if you buy it on your own and install it, they most likely won't honor their warranty.

"and have someone who will install it for $250" Are they properly licensed? I find people that do that so cheaply aren't licensed.
    Paul
    Gastek Pool & Gas Services If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. Gastek Google review,
    Check out some videos on my YouTube channel - Gastekservices on YouTube

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by ps0303 View Post
    You would be better served buying a Raypak. As for the propane cost, well it all depends on how much you plan to sue and when. Just remember, if you buy it on your own and install it, they most likely won't honor their warranty.

"and have someone who will install it for $250" Are they properly licensed? I find people that do that so cheaply aren't licensed.
    Thanks for the Raypak tip. The $250 was from a guy who works for a big pool company and also works on the side and will do the the plumbing part. The propane tank is being properly permitted and installed.
    33,000 gal; plaster (peeling), in-ground, DE filter, pentair variable speed pump, fed by well water,

6. Back To Top    #6

What about the electrical requirement? It needs power too.
    I'm a black and white type of guy ... the only gray in my life is the hair on my head
    750 gal fiberglass built in spa with Hayward equipment. Pump is SP3010X15AZ Control is Aqua Plus with a T-cell-3 SWG and a H400FD Heater, Hayward C12002 cartridge filter filter