DE all over my pool

I cleaned out my Hayward DE filter yesterday - the filter elements are looking pretty worn as it is about 8 years old.

Once I put it back together and started things up, my pool clouded up with DE.

I now have a cloudy pool and DE all over the bottom. I brush the floor and it seems to just stir up all the DE dust.

Will this eventually clear if I keep it stirred up and turning the pool water over with the filter?

I'm a bit worried that there could be something going on internally with my filter - the rubber o-ring on the stand pipe was shot so I removed it.
That and the condition of some of the filter elements.

I've cleaned the filter before and never seen it do this.

Ummm...did you replace the o-ring that was removed? Sure sounds to me like your grids are shot. You'll need to pull it apart again and inspect the grids carefully for tears in the fabric or cracked plastic. Very likely that something internally is not sealing.

When you get the filter operational again, use a manual vacuum head with the pump running on slow speed to suck up the DE on the pool floor. Eventually it will all get recaptured and be fine.

Ummm...did you replace the o-ring that was removed? Sure sounds to me like your grids are shot. You'll need to pull it apart again and inspect the grids carefully for tears in the fabric or cracked plastic. Very likely that something internally is not sealing.

When you get the filter operational again, use a manual vacuum head with the pump running on slow speed to suck up the DE on the pool floor. Eventually it will all get recaptured and be fine.

I did not replace the O-Ring. In fact the plastic housing that sits on top of all the filter elements has a crack in the piece of pipe that fits down over
the stand pipe with the o-ring.

I ordered new filter grids, an o-ring, and a new plastic housing/manifold yesterday.

Once that is in place I'll vacuum the pool as you have suggested.

Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.