Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: DE all over my pool

1. Back To Top    #1

DE all over my pool

I cleaned out my Hayward DE filter yesterday - the filter elements are looking pretty worn as it is about 8 years old.

Once I put it back together and started things up, my pool clouded up with DE.

I now have a cloudy pool and DE all over the bottom. I brush the floor and it seems to just stir up all the DE dust.

Will this eventually clear if I keep it stirred up and turning the pool water over with the filter?

I'm a bit worried that there could be something going on internally with my filter - the rubber o-ring on the stand pipe was shot so I removed it.
    That and the condition of some of the filter elements.

I've cleaned the filter before and never seen it do this.
    =====================================
    17K gallon IG freeform Pebble-Tec pool w/ raised spa/waterfall, Hayward 6020 DE filter, Tristar 1 HP circulation pump, Tristar 2.5 HP spa pump, Silencer 2hp blower, Aquarite SWG, Polaris 280 w/ booster pump, Hayward Universal H-Series 400K LPG heater, Ultrapure Ozonator 25, Aqualogic PS-8

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: DE all over my pool

Ummm...did you replace the o-ring that was removed? Sure sounds to me like your grids are shot. You'll need to pull it apart again and inspect the grids carefully for tears in the fabric or cracked plastic. Very likely that something internally is not sealing.

When you get the filter operational again, use a manual vacuum head with the pump running on slow speed to suck up the DE on the pool floor. Eventually it will all get recaptured and be fine.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

3. Back To Top    #3

I had that happen once and inside the filter there were many fingers that had the fabric over them and the fabric was all worn on some of them

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by JoyfulNoise View Post
    Ummm...did you replace the o-ring that was removed? Sure sounds to me like your grids are shot. You'll need to pull it apart again and inspect the grids carefully for tears in the fabric or cracked plastic. Very likely that something internally is not sealing.

When you get the filter operational again, use a manual vacuum head with the pump running on slow speed to suck up the DE on the pool floor. Eventually it will all get recaptured and be fine.
    I did not replace the O-Ring. In fact the plastic housing that sits on top of all the filter elements has a crack in the piece of pipe that fits down over
    the stand pipe with the o-ring.

I ordered new filter grids, an o-ring, and a new plastic housing/manifold yesterday.

Once that is in place I'll vacuum the pool as you have suggested.

Thanks!
    =====================================
    17K gallon IG freeform Pebble-Tec pool w/ raised spa/waterfall, Hayward 6020 DE filter, Tristar 1 HP circulation pump, Tristar 2.5 HP spa pump, Silencer 2hp blower, Aquarite SWG, Polaris 280 w/ booster pump, Hayward Universal H-Series 400K LPG heater, Ultrapure Ozonator 25, Aqualogic PS-8