First Year TFP - What Borax to Use

May 2, 2017
Lawrenceburg
This is my first year using the TFP method, and I'm not sure what borax to purchase to raise PH. I found THIS at Walmart, but I'm not 100% sure this is what i need. Can anyone verify?
I know it says Borax in big letters on the packaging, but it also says 'Detergent Booster' which made me think there may be something else added with the Borax.

What is everyone else using?

That's it! Here's what it says on the TFP Recommended Chemicals page (link below) about that very item:
Borax is available as 20 Mule Team® Borax Natural Laundry Booster. It is sold in the laundry detergent section of most larger grocery stores and some big box stores. Borax is best added by pre-dissolving it in a bucket of water and then pouring that slowly in front of a return.

As an "FYI":
PH can be raised in three ways: borax, soda ash, and aeration. Borax is usually the best choice. Borax raises the PH and also raises the TA level just a little. If your TA level is low soda ash will raise both the PH and TA levels. If your TA level is high, aeration is best as it will not raise the TA level at all. However, aeration is rather slow compared to the other two.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.