Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool Coping Renovation in Los Angeles - company recommendation?

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool Coping Renovation in Los Angeles - company recommendation?

Hello TFP!

The wife and I are moving into a house with a pool that has a pretty old, dominating concrete border. After a lot of head scratching, I think we want to demo all the existing cement, and either trim it down to a 2 foot deck, or pour a new coping and border. The backyard is a mess, and too much of it's being taken up by the pool's concrete deck.

Does anyone in the area have a recommendation for a company who can do this in the Los Angeles area, and anyone know what something like this might cost?

Here's a shot of what we're working with:

1709 Pool photo - pre.jpg

Thanks for the help! I hope soon we will have some nicer pictures to post in the Paradise section.

Dan
    Last edited by DanDanThePoolMan; 05-08-2017 at 11:08 AM. Reason: adding pictures back in.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool Coping Renovation in Los Angeles - company recommendation?

HI! First off I want to say I like that old concrete LOL as I like things that are different and that is different.

Next I want to point out you do not want the walking area around the pool to be much smaller than it is now.

Is the lip of the concrete around the pool as much a trip hazard as it looks in the picture?

Okay on to who to do the work and the cost.........The best thing you can do is start calling around your area. Hit everyone one that will answer the phone. I will tell you that about half of them will not show up for the appointment so that will whittle down the list fast. Get at least 3 quotes and share what they want to do here so we can look it over. The costs is VERY dependent on the area so we have no way of knowing what it will cost you there.

Good luck and let us know what you find out. Until then happy swimming!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the reply, Kim!

Yes, there's weird changes in elevation and grade all over the backyard. Major trip hazards. We're going to work on smoothing those out.

The wife and I like a greener look for the backyard, so I think we're going to aim for something more like this (stolen from another thread):

Pool build organic deck.jpg

We also were going to go for a sun deck on the edge of the pool closest to the camera, with just a thinner border around the rest of the pool, and grass/plants beyond that.

I have some concerns about our ancient pool equipment, also, but I'll start a new thread in the equipment section for that.

EDIT: I added the original photo back in to my first post. Does that photo go away if I delete the attachment from my account? I ran over my memory limit with just 3 photos, does that sound right?

- Dan

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Oh, no, you're going to give pooldv a head that's as big as his left foot! (That's his pool - his warm, clear, seductive pool).

The best way to have room to upload photos is to contribute. See my signature or the top of the website. Although you can also use a photosharing website.

BTW DanDanThePoolMan, my pool guy's name is Guy. I laugh to myself every time I talk to him. He closes my pool and does the stuff I don't want to, like motor and equipment pad work.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking | Merlin SmartMesh winter safety cover
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

5. Back To Top    #5

Hey by the way, do you think I should estimate the gallons of this pool as 3 circles? If I do that it comes to 17k gallons. Does that sound about right to you all?

Or do you think I should average everything and just do a rectangular estimation?

I'm planning to learn about pools over the next month, then take over maintenance from the pool service which we inherited from the previous owner.

Thanks,
    Dan
    16.5k gallon, In ground plaster pool.
    DE filter- Pentair 2000 series Model 2048
    Hayward Maxflo 1HP pump, Model K48A82A04
    Still figuring out the rest!

6. Back To Top    #6

Hey that is a great looking pool you picked to model! You have excellent taste. There are a bunch more pics of it in my pool thread, link in my sig.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

I'd do 2 circles and don't subtract for overlap. That should also take care of the shallow area. How deep is it to give me a feel for volume?
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking | Merlin SmartMesh winter safety cover
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks for the suggestion!

The pool is 4'4" deep in the middle larger circle, and 7'6" deep in the far smaller circle. The little shallow area is teeny (19" deep).

Pooldv, let's trade pools please! It would save me a lot of heartache (and $$$) in the months to come, as I embark on the backyard and pool renovation.

Dan
    16.5k gallon, In ground plaster pool.
    DE filter- Pentair 2000 series Model 2048
    Hayward Maxflo 1HP pump, Model K48A82A04
    Still figuring out the rest!