Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Acid eating beauty....

1. Back To Top    #1

Acid eating beauty....

Hey everyone....second season with the pool now and have had nothing but crystal clear water from day one since becoming a TFP follower....

Yet, I can't seem to get a handle on the pH. It wants to stay high all the time no matter how much acid I feed it. TA is right at 100 at the moment, but have always kept it in the 80-100 range. All other chemistry is normal range.

This is a 42k gallon swg gunite/quartzscapes finish built last spring. Am I doomed to feeding this thing a gallon of acid per day for the rest of my life?

50x20 IG, quartscapes finish, 41k gallons , Autofill valve, Jandy pro series stealth 2 HP pump, Polaris PB4-60 cleaner, 4 cartridge filter (unknown make), Hayward Turbo cell 15 swg, Rheem 135k BTU heater/chiller, Hayward Pro Logic control panel, pool build complete 6-10-2016

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Acid eating beauty....

That's a lot of acid. What are you trying to keep your pH at? My pool loves to be at 7.6-7.8. So, I let her hang out about 7.6 and try not to force her to be 7.2. What is your water source?

3. Back To Top    #3

We have county water. Really really nice water. Trying keep pH under 8 but not having much luck.

50x20 IG, quartscapes finish, 41k gallons , Autofill valve, Jandy pro series stealth 2 HP pump, Polaris PB4-60 cleaner, 4 cartridge filter (unknown make), Hayward Turbo cell 15 swg, Rheem 135k BTU heater/chiller, Hayward Pro Logic control panel, pool build complete 6-10-2016

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

You can try lowering your alkalinity Pool School - Lower Total Alkalinity it is a tad high. What are you testing pH with?

5. Back To Top    #5

You may want to consider adding borates to your pool there is a good thread explanation about how they can help Here

Also the Borates why and how which is Here.
    Chuck-
    15x30 AG, Pentair Superflo VS, 19" sand filter, TF-100 test kit
    Aqua Comfort ACT750 heat pump / 6x20 ground mount solar panel / DIY automation

Photos of 2016 Build, Inside Your Breaker Panel, Free Copy of 2017 NEC code
    TFP is AD Free and is funded solely by member support click here to help

6. Back To Top    #6

MD,

When you add MA are you shooting for 7.2 or 7.6? Most saltwater pools like their pH around 7.8...

Lowering your TA, using the link that OTPirate provided above, works well for me...

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Caldera Spa.

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks everyone. I will give the borates a try.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by OTPirate View Post
    You can try lowering your alkalinity Pool School - Lower Total Alkalinity it is a tad high. What are you testing pH with?
    Testing with a pool master drop kit

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

Lower your TA down to 60-70 before borates. See what that does. Then, if you still struggle with pH, try the borates.

You should get a good kit.....how old is yours?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh View Post
    Lower your TA down to 60-70 before borates. See what that does. Then, if you still struggle with pH, try the borates.

You should get a good kit.....how old is yours?
    Added two gallons of acid this morning and pH is now at 7.6 and TA at 80....

Gonna add another gallon and see how that goes. The kit I have is less than 12 mos old.

11. Back To Top    #11

My pool is about the same age. The acid demand slowed down a lot once I got TA to 60. Also as said above it seems to like to ride at 7.8 so I only knock it down to 7.6 when adding acid.
    Completed April 2016: 22x36 3.5-5.5-4 Inground, 17,500 gallons, Aquapure SWG, Jandy 2hp Variable Speed, Jandy 460 Cartridge Filter, Polaris 280, Aqualink PDA4, Jandy Nichless LED lights, Diamondbrite color Steel Blue, Noche Travertine Coping & Deck

12. Back To Top    #12

Good to hear. Maybe I won't need borates after all. Just don't want to put $8 worth of acid in it everyday. That will start to add up.

13. Back To Top    #13

$3000 a year for acid and I will probably just let it ride.

14. Back To Top    #14

My swg pool rides right around 7.8 like JR said above. I've been trying to reduce my TA from 140 to 70 by getting my ph to 7.2 and aerating. It's just not working for me. So I'm just moving on and living with it.

15. Back To Top    #15

In the Industry

Ok, I'm terrible at colors, because that looks like 7.6 to me. I like to use a pH meter in conjunction with the pH test.

16. Back To Top    #16

TFP Guide

I read it as 7.6 as well OTPirate.

MolarDog - start by lowering your TA to around 50 as recommended above. Do that in conjunction with keeping the pool around 7.6-7.8 and I think you'll find your acid demand drops quite a bit.
    8,500gal plaster in-ground with attached spa, two floor drains, one skimmer. Chlorine, City Water.
    Pentair WhisperFlo 1hp Pump, MagnaTek Midcentury EPlus motor, Pentair CleanNClear 200SF Cartridge filter, Purex Triton MiniMax 250 Gas Heater, Pentair SunLite, AutoFill.
    Kreepy Krauly Cruiser, TF-100 with SpeedStir. :D

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by triptyx View Post
    I read it as 7.6 as well OTPirate.

MolarDog - start by lowering your TA to around 50 as recommended above. Do that in conjunction with keeping the pool around 7.6-7.8 and I think you'll find your acid demand drops quite a bit.
    +1 to lowering TA to 50 or 60.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

18. Back To Top    #18

Keep in mind your pool is also still kind of "new" and some will take a year or so to finish curing.

Don't try borates until after your TA/pH have been stable a while. If you do it too early they become harder to manage if you need to change something.

Maddie

(and I know you didn't ask but... you need a FAS-DPD tester. So you can test chlorine >5ppm)
    Maddie :) 12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Skippy's Pool Cooler --> Skippy's New Fountain Our Build --> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard

19. Back To Top    #19

Thanks everyone. Gonna go buy a pallet of acid from home Depot and conquer this TA....still reading 90 and pH has already crept back up to 8.2 as of this evening.

20. Back To Top    #20

And btw, I have Taylor test kits for every other parameter....salt, calcium hardness, fas-dpd.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast