Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Sun Gems Salt????

1. Back To Top    #1

Angry Sun Gems Salt????

Based on what I read in Pool School HERE I bought THIS Sun Gems Pool Softener Salt. I got them home and they are huge. The crystals are roughly the size of small gravel. Is this right? Won't this take forever to dissolve? I have 18 bags to apply, please advise.
    30,000 Gallon Inground, Vinyl Liner
    DE Filter & Pentair IC40 SWG
    Pentair Legend Platinum w/ PB4 Booster
    Pentair Kreepy Krawler Prowler Robot

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Sun Gems Salt????

Jo,

It will work fine... Keep in mind that when adding a large quantity of salt, your SWCG should be shut off for 24 hours anyway to allow the salt and water to mix well.

Softener salt does take longer to dissolve, but within an hour it will all be gone. I think I would add five bags and brush it around and then add another five bags, etc.

Thanks,

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Caldera Spa.

3. Back To Top    #3

Like Jim says, it might take a little while, but it will be fine.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

4. Back To Top    #4

Jim & Dave,

Glad to hear that, I wasn't looking forward to loading 18 bags of salt back into the trailer to return to HD only to have to load 18 more bags in......as always, thanks for the quick reply. I was just extremely surprised when I saw the size of the salt, some were almost the size of a ping pong ball.

Josh

5. Back To Top    #5

Just as an aside - its funny that the pool stores hype up how their salt is finer (smaller grains) and tell you how it really makes a big difference so that you don't mind paying more for the stuff they sell. Based on the fact that the huge salt crystals I purchased will dissolve in an hour or so, there's no way it's worth the price difference. Scare tactics at work......

6. Back To Top    #6

If the water is otherwise swimmable, and you have children, maybe you should hold Diamond Day. Those big rocks ought to make it last longer. Check this post: Where do you put the salt? Skimmer or pool
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

Not even close to swimmable, just getting ready for opening by getting my supplies. I'll make sure to hold back a bag or two for Diamond Days though, that should be fun.

8. Back To Top    #8

I have had much better results using Morton's or Diamond Crystal solar salt instead of pool salt. Last weekend I added 200 pounds (5 bags) of Diamond Crystal Solar salt in the shallow end and brushed it around for a few minutes. Within an hour, probably 95% had dissolved and the rest was gone by the next morning. What was most amazing was there were almost no impurities left on the pool bottom. I started a thread last year about a problem with Morton Pool Salt that left a huge amount of debris on the bottom. Morton's ended up sending me coupons to replace the bags but even the replacements were not as good as using solar salt. Don't think twice about using cheaper water softener salt instead of pool salt.
    Free-form concrete walls with vinyl liner, 18,000 gallon capacity, Jandy 1.5HP e-Pump, Jandy DEV48 DE filter (using cellulose media), Jandy AE2500 heat pump, Jandy Aqualink Power Center with 14-blade cell kit and Jandy PDA-P8 wireless control system.