Sun Gems Salt????

Jo,

It will work fine... Keep in mind that when adding a large quantity of salt, your SWCG should be shut off for 24 hours anyway to allow the salt and water to mix well.

Softener salt does take longer to dissolve, but within an hour it will all be gone. I think I would add five bags and brush it around and then add another five bags, etc.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Jim & Dave,

Glad to hear that, I wasn't looking forward to loading 18 bags of salt back into the trailer to return to HD only to have to load 18 more bags in......as always, thanks for the quick reply. I was just extremely surprised when I saw the size of the salt, some were almost the size of a ping pong ball.

Josh

Just as an aside - its funny that the pool stores hype up how their salt is finer (smaller grains) and tell you how it really makes a big difference so that you don't mind paying more for the stuff they sell. Based on the fact that the huge salt crystals I purchased will dissolve in an hour or so, there's no way it's worth the price difference. Scare tactics at work......

I have had much better results using Morton's or Diamond Crystal solar salt instead of pool salt. Last weekend I added 200 pounds (5 bags) of Diamond Crystal Solar salt in the shallow end and brushed it around for a few minutes. Within an hour, probably 95% had dissolved and the rest was gone by the next morning. What was most amazing was there were almost no impurities left on the pool bottom. I started a thread last year about a problem with Morton Pool Salt that left a huge amount of debris on the bottom. Morton's ended up sending me coupons to replace the bags but even the replacements were not as good as using solar salt. Don't think twice about using cheaper water softener salt instead of pool salt.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.