Corpus Christi, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Ok So I have a 24' Saltwater LX that I have just recently purchased and it is warrantied for burial up to 27" so here's my dilemma!!! I had the excavation done and they went a few inches deeper than 27" it was dug out and none of the earth around or on the floor has been disturbed after the excavation but it's also not exactly level I'm around a 2" difference from lowest to highest spot and they turned out to be one of those that never answers calls and showed back up type companies... ? Now I live in south Texas so our dirt is the thick black clay type dirt that is almost impossible to dig through with a shovel it is like rock... so to do it by hand would pretty much be almost impossible... now the instruction manual says I can use stone dust or a crushed stone under the bottom rail and footings but I'm gonna use heavy duty pavers made for foundations my question is if it is buried and I have solid undisturbed earth could I just use a solid aggregate such as a crushed limestone to help me reach level? When compacted it is like a rock plus it is good for drainage and doesn't erode but if it has nowhere to erode to since it's gonna be contained by all the undisturbed earth would that work? The way I'm thinking of it is if you fill a pan with sand as long as the pan has a bottom and walls there is no where for the aggregate to go but stay in place... am I right or wrong? Looking for a little advice... the hole will be back filled with the same dirt that came out of the hole since once it settles it's not going anywhere it build a solid standing wall so I should never have to worry about a cave in if I have to change a liner or something...

Its doubtful most on here with experience will tell you to fill to get your site level and neither will I. Filling in low spots is one thing raising up to level is another. That pool will be extremely heavy and will compact the earth under it.

So I am not recommending filling up. I would first look at bringing the bottom of the excavation to level and then removing some from the top of the sides to get to the 27" limit. Remember per the instructions the sides must slope AWAY from the pool at 10%. Who has the sides slope away at 10%? What planet are these folks living on anyway?

There are ways to raise the bottom but that should only be done by someone with training and experience in small lifts using something like damp road base and a mechanical compactor.

I agree with you there is no one that will say to add instead of take more out but then again I'm going to assume which I don't like to do... Thay they have never dealt with South Texas Dirt/Clay ? I'm on board with the whole dig down till you hit undisturbed ground but it brings up the non logical therory of how do people with a sand foundation or soil set up pools on top of earth without digging down and get away with it when we all know sand is the quickest eroding substance known to man.... now don't get me wrong I'm gonna do everything possible to get this stuff compacted down to the most it possibly can be and from all the videos I've seen they don't do half the job that I know I will cause I'm one of those people that like to do things overboard from what you need but it is almost impossible without it costing me more than what I paid for the pool....

Also let me state that the actual pool or liner bottom will be sitting on majority flat earth cause I will just need to fill small little voids on top of that... the instructions stated that if you do it is ok to do so... Now this is considered a step which is optional to add aggregate... instructions say you are gonna dig a 2" trench at 23 to 25 feet and the bottom rails sit on the 24' mark so that would be 1' inside and 1' outside the wall I even called the poolfactory.com to verify that was the correct instructions and they concurred so that's what brings me to my conclusion... well that and the fact that logical thinking is that there can't be erosion if there is no where for it to go... But that's why I'm seeking help from the ones that are the pros and have been doing this forever cause all the info I have received from this site makes me feel like a pro... ???

We went and got aglime (rock dust). They dump it right in your farm truck. You are correct, it compacts like a rock. In addition it has a high pH. We put at least 3 inches down then rented a compactor. Our pool is perfectly level and has remained so for a year...and btw, we buried ours as well, same exact pool.

By far the best thing you can do is not bring in fill....

For what you are trying to do a vibrating plate compactor is what you want they other two will leave you with uneven compaction on an are that large.

My pool is up on about 6 inches of compacted road base (quarry process) pics in the link below. Rocks prevented me from getting deep enough to level. It's a extra work and money but worth it in the end so that nothing moves.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.