Do I NEED a professional?

Apr 23, 2016
Abilene, TX
We are close to choosing a pool heater but can't decide if we need a professional pool guy to install it. My hubby is pretty handy and we're into doing it ourselves if possible to make sure it's done right. Also, I have read that buying heaters online is risky but our in-town choices are pretty limited. Any opinions? Thanks!

You'll probably do fine with a smaller heat pump around 50k btu. It should add about 1 degree every 2 hours. The benefit ipoh a smaller heat pump is a smaller electric circuit, mine uses a 20 amp breaker. Bigger heat pumps use 50a or 60a service. I installed a Hayward HP50HA heat pump last fall. You'll need to install an electric circuit and do some plumbing. There are some pics of my install in my pool thread, link in sig.

Figure out which one you want and go hunt for the manual online and read up on installation. Then decide.

I suspect reconfiguring the plumbing will be the hardest part, unless your equipment pad is exceptionally spacious. You probably have a panel out by the pool, so if there are vacant spaces for more circuit breakers and you aren't overloading it, the wiring should be pretty simple.

As Danny points out the issue with a heat pump is whether you feel you have the knowledge and comfort level taking the front off your panel, installing a new breaker and running a circuit to the new heater. Depending on the location of the panel and the heater a suitable electric line may not be cheap. It has to be in conduit and may have to be buried although with a few beers I can get creative. The electrical side is usually more intimidating than the plumbing side.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.