Intermatic T103 timer help

Oct 19, 2016
Huntsville, AL
Not sure if this is the right forum for this question, but here goes.

I wired in my T103 timer earlier this week. The pump will turn on and off with the manual override switch, but the timer dial is not moving.

Here is how I have it wired (this is a 220V circuit). (Note, I followed a wiring diagram I found online that more clearly shows the layout than the sticker inside the timer door)

From the breaker to the timer:

White wire to 1
Black wire to 3
Green wire to the green grounding screw

From the pump to the timer:

White wire to 2
Black wire to 4
Second white wire (ground wire) to the green grounding screw

There is nothing attached to the "A" lug, which appears to be a neutral. These are exactly as the instructions called for, however the only way it works is in the manual position. What am I doing wrong? It seems as if "A" should have a wire attached, but not clear on which wire that should be.

Thanks Jim,

So in that event, I would need to remove the green wire from the ground lug and attach it to the "A" lug? I am assuming the ground wire from the pump itself can remain on the ground lug.
No. Green is ground and ground alone.

T-103-240-400.jpg

Jim, that is correct. I have a 3 wire setup. White, black, and green from the breaker to the box and black, white, and white on the pump. The wire is 10/3 wire. That stinks because the timer says it works with 120V/240V applications but doesn't mention that the 240v side only works with a 4 wire configuration. What other options are available?

The instructions I followed were for a T104 model from the link below:
http://www.inyopools.com/HowToPage/how_to_install_an_intermatic_t104_timer.aspx?CommentPage=1

It doesn't mention hooking up a neutral either and seems to have a similar configuration to mine. Is the difference between the T103 and T104 timer the neutral hookup?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.