Cloudy Water Low PH High TA

madms1

Jun 22, 2009
Hello,

I'm new to this forum and I'am having a problem with High TA /Low PH and cloudy water. Here is my pool specs. Can anyone offer some guidance? Plus FC burns off during the day

28,500 inground Gunite
Temp 86 degrees
New sand replaced last summer

FC 2.0
ph 7.2
TA 180
CA 400
CYA 30

If your FC is burning off during the day but you do not lose chlorine overnight (test after sundown and again at sunrise) then you need to bring up the CYA
Otherwise you probably have a nascent algae bloom and you should shock and then run your FC at bit higher than 2 ppm since that is the MINIMUM a pool with 30 ppm CYA should be kept.
pool-school/chlorine_cya_chart_shock

Adding chlorine will not raise TA. Calcium hypochlorite will raise your CH, which you haven't reported yet; dichlor-blahblah will raise your CYA. Liquid chlorine/bleach will add basically nothing (just a tiny bit of salt, pretty much all chlorines do that).
--paulr

madms1 said:
Thanks for the help I will add some shock. But how high should the FC rise to be affective enough, and will it raise the TA also?

Your shock level is 12, according to the CYA chart, so for your pool thats about 3 large 182 oz jugs of 6% bleach.

You'll probably need more than that though, that's just to reach shock level the first time. Ignore your PH readings if the FC is above 12, that will read false high. Only adjust PH if the FC is below 10.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.