Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Trouble keeping my FC high enough..

1. Back To Top    #1

Trouble keeping my FC high enough..

Since I did the stain treatment 4 weeks ago, I really have been able get my FC to hold.
    I have been adding about 4oz of sequasol stain away per day. Could that be part of the problem?

Here are my latest numbers:

FC: 3.4
    TC: .1
    PH: 7.2 (purposely kept it low for stains)
    TA: 90
    CYA: 55
    CH: 230
    Water looks sparkling clear..

I have never shocked the pool since doing the stain treatment as recommended for keeping stains away.
    Also, there is lots of cotton getting into the pool from the trees.

Is it possible algae is trying to form and that's keeping the FC down?
    Should I go ahead and do a shock? Should I go ahead and increase my PH?

I'm gettng tired of going through so much bleach eveyr week.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Trouble keeping my FC high enough..

I would not increase the PH. 7.2 is fine.

4oz of sequasol stain away per day is too much. Usually the dosage is somewhere around that much per week. The sequestrant will often, but not always, use up a little chlorine.

Since it has been 4 weeks, and you believe there is extra chlorine demand, shocking the pool is a good idea. However, you should do it "gently" this first time since the stain treatment. If possible, work your way up to shock level over a couple of hours, keeping an eye out for any new stains. If the stains start to reappear, stop adding chlorine and instead add some extra sequestrant.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the sound advice, Jason. I will do a gradual shocking.
    10PPM enough, or higher?

Since the ideal level for PH is supposedly around 7.4-7.6, what would be the drawbacks of a lower PH.
    Is the water not as comfortable to the skin?

4. Back To Top    #4

With CYA at 55, you want to shock to about 17.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

16x32 21,000 gallon in-ground exposed aggregate, 1.5hp pump, 120 sqft catridge filter, birdcage, solar panels, aquavac tigershark qc robot.

6. Back To Top    #6

I ended up putting in 3 Gallons (384oz of bleach) into the pool last night. I added it over a 3 hour period, and tested once in between. After two gallons, my FC was still only 9. Added the third gallon and ran pump for an hour before retiring for the evening. First thing this morning it was at 11PPM..

Last year at this very same time of year, I had an unexpected ammonia problem. hmmmm, I might do an ammonia test when I get home if the FC is not holding at a fairly high level.

7. Back To Top    #7

You don't have any ammonia at this point. If you had ammonia, all of your FC would vanish in an hour or two.

8. Back To Top    #8

That sounds about right. Last year, I was putting massive amounts of chlorine in and could never get it to hold for more than an a half-hour.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    You don't have any ammonia at this point. If you had ammonia, all of your FC would vanish in an hour or two.