replacing light fixture

Jun 5, 2015
middletown, nj
Need to replace the whole light and housing in my hot tub. Before I jump in and end up doing things the hard way I had a few questions.
1. for the pull line to attach to the cord, some poly pull line adequate or is there something specific suggested? amazon: Klein Tools 56108 Poly Pull Line?

2. Both the pool and hot tub lights go to a junction box outside my main control box. Any suggestions on figuring out which is which or is tugging and watching my best option? EDIT_ I figured this out. I'll just disconnect and put string to both then pull from hot tub end and only the correct one will go. That's that!

3. Draining my hot tub - Plugging the hole that lets water flow from pool to hot tub, any suggestions? are there any products specifically made for that or grabbing ball from my kid and letting the water pressure hold it in place a good bet?

I replaced all the light fixtures around my house, so I am not afraid of the electrical work part of it. BUT, any suggestions/tips are more than welcome.

Thanks in advance for any help, this site has been a wealth of knowledge!

Not sure on #1 but on #3, do you have a valve that controls flow to the hot tub? If so close that valve. From your comments maybe there is a static port/hole between the pool and spa rather than them being separate or their being an overflow from spa to pool. If you don't have a valve to stop flow to spa, maybe it's time to add one?

yes, I have valves to stop/redirect the flow between pool and tub. But what I want to plug is a hole about 4-5 inches across and about 3-4 feet long that goes from my hot tub to my pool a about 2 feet below water level. To pull light cord and install drain covers back in the hot tub I want to drain water into the pool. Just cant think of something smart to plug it up with.

That water is cold still in NJ! should be easy to stick a pump in the hot tuba and toss the water in the pool, pull the plug and the hot tub will fill back up in minutes once the work is done. I am not floundering around in that cold water wrestling with the light and putting the two drain covers back on the hot tub (yes, two. one for drain and one for booster pump for jets).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.