Recommendations Needed on Pool Side Plants Please! - Katy/Houston area

JarCar

Mar 23, 2017
Katy, TX
Would love to hear what your recommendations(pics of your landscaping would be great too!) are for the best easy/little to no maintenance pool side plants are! We live in Katy, TX just west of Houston. We have a new build(pic shown below) and want to put some landscaping behind the pool area.
We do not have a green thumb so nothing difficult or that will need to be brought inside or that is known to die and not come back please. Asking mainly for filler plants, would love at least some with color, but definitely not any that will shed into the pool, there is the moss rock wall that will help with that as well.

Here is what we are thinking so far...we already have 6 oleanders we trimmed them down and so now they are growing back(as seen in the picture), so we are going to move the end oleanders further out to be the outside plants, then starting left to right will look like this with palms brought forward a little so not in a straight line with oleanders:
Oleander~Windmill Palm~Oleander~maybe short Pindo Palm/Sago/or Roebelenii ~Oleander ~Mediterranean Fan Palm(middle)~ Oleander~short Pindo Palm/Sago/or Roebelenii~Oleander~Windmill Palm~Oleander

and then we have no idea on the small filler plants; I’ve only read these are good near pools (Hibiscus, Birds of Paradise, bicolor Iris, Morea Iris, Daylily)
and read lemon/citronella grass and lavender are good to keep mosquitoes away...mosquitoes really like to bite me :(.
Also we saw these at the garden store but not sure about them, they weren’t that helpful about the plants either...Elephant ears, Red sister, Cordyline Red Star, philodendron cordyline maria).

Straight on view of landscaping area(slight distortion due to panoramic pic)
1f92511623a5d1ccdfadf2fff186ba59.jpg

Entire pool view:
6e67d69da24f25a7532c3cb634a80169.jpg

46883916220bacbf0ad6980b5090a252.jpg

Side view of landscaping area (black area next to rock wall will be filled with small rocks)
9ede5a5a724d55eace3cf4569ad3e017.jpg

Thanks in advance for any help/pictures or ideas!

Windmill palm :
7ddb43852c9d214121a6e8432f395911.jpg

Mediterranean fan palm:
4bc37e218cabd85856ae8f0488781f53.jpg

The other small palms we like:

74c22b078a53d4c1cf3e12624404aa71.jpg

aa131ce44156f41725c2c3f495817e8d.jpg

And Roebelenii

Great looking pool! Just be careful with the oleanders and Sago palms in you have pets. Both are poisonous. I agree on the BOPs and they come in a giant and a smaller version. The giant ones do get giant! Variegated gingers are another possibility.

IMG_0210.jpg

Great looking pool! Just be careful with the oleanders and Sago palms in you have pets. Both are poisonous. I agree on the BOPs and they come in a giant and a smaller version. The giant ones do get giant! Variegated gingers are another possibility.

View attachment 60201

Thank you! We do have two small dogs and two kids but they don't mess with the Oleanders or any plants at all. :)
Thanks for the pic, looks good! Oh I like the variegated ginger as well, nice lighter green touch!
What is the other green short looking palm you have there? It looks similar to the one we were looking at as well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, that is one that we like as well, we saw it at the garden store this weekend! Thank you, do you like them as well as your other plants(variegated ginger and BOP? Easy to maintain, any maintenance?

Nice looking pool!

I have oleanders here in Florida. I LOVE them BUT they get really really big and wide! The are great for screening neighbors but drop/blow blossoms and leaves into the pool. They grow extremely fast and in the space you have it looks like you would have to cut them back ALL the time and they look like they are planted too close to your fence. IMHO for the space you have you probably should get rid of them and plant other plants.

Yes, that is one that we like as well, we saw it at the garden store this weekend! Thank you, do you like them as well as your other plants(variegated ginger and BOP? Easy to maintain, any maintenance?

Some trimming of the lower fronds is necessary. You also need to be careful of the big thorns they have. We love ours!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.