Opening Pool

Apr 30, 2017
Elkhart, IN
I've spent the first 4 years of pool ownership having my local pool store test the water and tell me what to buy and decided to take more control this year. I have the TF-100 Start Up XL coming this week and wanted to know if there is anything special I need to worry about when opening the pool or do I just remove the plugs, fire up the pump, test the water and use the poolmath calculator with the results?

Welcome! :wave:

You've got it. Looks like someone has been reading Pool School. graduation_smiley_face_sticker-r9fd3676d88264d228a88ad5f65d7671f_v9wf3_8byvr_50.jpg

Let the pump run a while so you can check for leaks and get the water well mixed. Then test. Do not be surprised if you discover the CYA and/or CH are astronomical. Pool store advice often leads to that. If something seems really weird, check Pool School - Extended Test Kit Directions. In fact, head off any potential misinformation by wiping off the tip of the R-009 TA reagent before you start counting. It's mentioned in those extended directions.

If something is way out of whack and poolmath suggests draining, just bite the bullet and do it. Now that you're in control it will probably be the last time you need to do it.

Richard's gotcha on the way... opening is that easy. If there is antifreeze in the lines, I try to catch that before it goes into the pool but it really doesn't hurt much if it does, maybe just a little higher chlorine demand for a week or so. Once you start testing with your kit, it helps solidify what you read in Pool School. Nothing like practice to make it sink in.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.