Another Noob needs to learn the ropes...

May 1, 2017
Houston
Hi All,

I bought a house with a pool! I'd like to learn the basics. I've been putting a pound or two of shock in 20,000 gal plaster in ground pool as needed to keep Chlorine at about 3 or 4 ppm. Using a cheap test kit I got at Home Depot. Also been keeping an eye on PH. Adding acid to keep it around 7.6. I also float those 3 inch chlorine pucks (2 at a time). I have a DE filter and I've been back washing and replacing the DE about every couple months. I also drop by Leslie's occasionally and get the free test they provide. From that test I see my Cya level is getting higher. Now it's at 80 and a month ago it was around 60 I think. I also used a product called No Mor Problems made by United Chemical. So far everything seems to be going well but this will be my first swim season taking care of the pool and I want to keep everything great. Thought I'd join up and learn as much as possible. I'm off to go read the posts and see what I see! Happy swimming!

Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: Okay, let's get right to it:
- #1 - Avoid the pool store unless you just need muriatic acid or a toy. Their free testing is not accurate (only free) and results based on industry standards designed to get you to buy more stuff. Please (please) get the proper test kit. We recommend one of two - a TF-100 (link below) or Taylor K-2006C. I recommend the TF-100 with speedstir. It will save you money over the year in accurate results.
#2 - Take out the chlorine tabs ASAP. Those, along with the bags of shock the store sells you, are what are increasing your CYA. I bet the pool store didn't tell you that right? Stick to regular/plain bleach from HEB (Bravo) or Wal-Mart (Great Value) to increase Free Chlorine (FC). It's the same thing.
#3 - Please read the Pool School link below in my sig and save/Bookmark the other links below as well. You'll use them and refer to them often.

What we offer here is 100% free advice, but you must have one of those test kits. Once you get one, post a full set of numbers and we'll be happy to advise. You won't be disappointed with the results or the money you save from staying out of the pool store. Great to have you with us!

B,

Welcome to TFP... A Great resource for all pool owners that use "magic" Pool $tore chemicals. :snorkle:

How would you like to quit adding "shock" to your pool once a week?
How would you like to have a pool that does not smell like Chlorine?
How would you like to not have to go to the Pool Store anymore?
How would you like to have your pool so clear you can see head or tails of a coin in the deep end?

Well, you can, if you use our self-testing process.

If you follow Pat's advice above, and then post valid test data, we can then point you in the right direction.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.