Glendale, Az
I finally got the new regents and did my test (TF100 kit];

FC 2.5
cc .5
CH 475
TA 70
PH 8.2
CYA to the top of the bottle 10??

I add chlorine at night, usually enough to bring FC up to 7. I have had past problems with PH but it runs 7.5 to 8.2 Historically CH is in the 350-375 range so its high. TA looks good.

Pool is clear...

How do I lower the CH and raise the CYA.

If your water is still crystal clear and absolutely no indications of algae or cloudiness, then a pH in the mid 7s is just fine. CH can't be lowered chemically, you have to exchange water (same as if CYA was high), so just live with 475. That's actually not bad for your area. To compensate for an elevated CH, always keep the TA and pH on the lower end of the scale (i.e. pH at 7.4-7.5), and never let the pH get over 7.8. Your TA is indeed good at 70 right now.

I don't recall what your CYA target was, but an FC of 7.5 is fine. When in doubt, always refer to the Chlorine/CYA Chart to compare. Keep a close eye on pH and FC each day and you should have a great TFP swimming season. :swim: Hope that helps.

^^ I agree.^^ Losing more than 1 ppm of FC overnight is a concern. If the starting and ending FC tests were performed with no sunlight on the pool, then something in the water is eating your chlorine. The OCLT is also one of the 3 criteria for passing a "SLAM" to remove algae/organic material from the water. It's very possible that prior to receiving your TF-100, the FC remained too low (also without CYA protection) allowing algae to start. If I were you, I'd increase FC to "12" and SLAM. You already added stabilizer so that's perfect. Squeeze that sock often and it should dissolve fairly soon. Consider retesting CYA tomorrow or Weds to confirm your CYA level. If your CYA is closer to 40, increase FC to "16".

Since your water seems to still be clear to the naked eye, the organic material may not be excessive and your SLAM may be short-lived, but it's best to do it now and not take a chance. If you've never done a SLAM before, you'll see the link below in my signature. Hope that helps.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So I retested today after a few very busy days.

CL 14
CC 2.5
CA 600
TA 70
CYA 35
PH 7.5

shouldn't the increase in stabilizer increas the CYA? That didn't work and now my CH is way high at 600. I will lower the water level a little using the back wash hose..

Pool is crystal clear and yes I can see the screw heads on the lower drains.

Also if someone has and idea on how to keep the wasps out of the pool!!

Based on that update, we round-up your CYA to 40 which requires an FC SLAM level of "16", so feel free to increase that now. Your CCs a re elevated which means a lot of junk is getting processed in your water. So it's important to maintain that elevated FC so the bleach can do its thing. Don't worry about the CH. Stabilizer has nothing to do with it. It's usually high in your area straight from the hose. We can discuss that and all the other readings after the SLAM. Just focus on testing FC & CC and maintaining that SLAM.

As for the wasps, if you figure that one out, please let me know. :)

This morning, around 6:30 it showed cl at 16.. No loss overnight.
That's great! So if the water is still clear and CC is 0.5 or less, then your SLAM is over and you can let the FC fall to the recommended range as noted on the Chlorine/CYA Chart.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.