Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How do you all deal with flowering trees?

1. Back To Top    #1

How do you all deal with flowering trees?

Had the solar cover off today to run the Polaris and brush the pool. It was snowing green from the flowering trees. I left the cover off for a bit to let the skimmer catch them with a skimmer sock. Wind picked up and too much was getting into the pool. I could not take it any longer so I put the cover back on. Now it storming out and these things are falling like crazy! I have never seen these before in my yard, or at least never paid attention to them as this is my first spring with the pool. What is the best way to deal with them?

14x28 Kidney IG vinyl pool, 9250 gallons. Pentair 1.5hp superflo variable speed, Pentair Clean and Clear 240 Cartridge filter, Pentair IC40 SWCG, Hayward Heatpro 110,000k heat pump, Pentair Intellibrite 5G LED lights, Polaris 280, Taylor K-2006 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How do you all deal with flowering trees?

or

I stopped bothering with a cover. I never could remove it without all that stuff ending up in the water anyway.

PS. Skimmer socks/ nylons/ hairnets will help a lot to keep your filter from loading up. Use the search box on any of those terms and you'll find a lot.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

My neighbors have Crepe Myrtles that drop pink blossoms in my pool all summer long! I use a PoolSkim USA -- award-winning automatic pool skimmer solves and eliminates your pool debris problems for a clean and sparkling pool. to collect them when my pump is running. There are other products that can help as well such as a skimaround or a pooldevil. Other than that, covering the pool until everything quits falling, frequent vacuuming, or removing the tree are the only other options I know.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

What is the best way to deal with them?
    One day at a time is all I have to offer.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

5. Back To Top    #5

My solar cover looks like that too. When we swim during the week we fold the cover back and grab what we can. Then on the weekend we take the cover off, clean it up and net out whatever falls into the pool.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

In the Industry

Chainsaw

7. Back To Top    #7

+1 to the skimmer sock/mesh. Total filter saver!

A technique I've used before is to use the garden hose with a high-pressure spray nozzle and blast all the flowers/debris towards the skimmer (with a sock). Then roll up the cover.
    13k Gal. PebbleTec IG pool : Pentair IntelliFlo VS pump : Hayward 8-cartridge filter system : A&A in-floor cleaners : Jandy 115k BTU heat-pump : A&A auto-filler : Stenner 45MPHP10 auto-chlorine feeder : BBB Method

8. Back To Top    #8

Roundup 365...
    15,500 gallon outdoor in-ground SWG 16'x30' plaster pool; 7' Raised Spa; Jandy 2.21 HP ePump VS Pump and JEP-R Controller; Jandy DEV 60 DE Filter;
    Jandy JXi 400 Gas Heater; Jandy Nicheless LED Lights; AquaCal Pool Pilot Nano Chlorine Generator; KrystalKrete Blue Quartz Pool Finish; Screen Enclosure w/ Travertine Pavers; In-Service Date: 01/17