What to do with antifreeze in the filter?

May 25, 2016
Coventry, CT
Hi all, this is my first year opening my new pool. I have never had a filter that stayed outside in the winter with underground lines. The pool builder put antifreeze assuming it was pool antifreeze) in the lines when he closed it.

To open it, what do I do with that? Backwash before running the filter? I thought I read somewhere that it just gets blown back into the pool. That doesn't seem right to me though? Want to be sure before I put something in the pool that shouldn't be there [emoji12]

24' Round Radiant partially in ground pool. Hayward sand filter S166T with 1.5 hp 2 speed Variflo pump

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I use my wet dry vac to remove as much as possible. Then vacuum to waste for first opening.

I saw one post here where the person suggested opening one jet at a time, and directing return water with a hose outside the pool!

18000 IG, SWG, 1/2 HP Tri Star + Solar PV direct DC Lorentz pump, Sand filtrt

Chlorine will break it down, so nothing wrong with letting it blow back in to the pool. If it is easy for you to shop vac it out or flush any to waste though then that will save you some chlorine in the long run.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

I use a 1.5" x .75" galvanized bushing with a .75" mip x female hose adapter to push the antifreeze out. Just be careful not to cross thread the plastic threads on your return lines. This way you don't freeze your hand off trying to seal the hose in the return. I don't drain my pool below the returns like many do.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.