After 12 lbs shock and 3 gallons liquid chlorine the green swamp is getting worse!

SLAM Continued:

FC @ 1800 = 19. Lots of more brushing, mixing, skimming for a half hour.
FC @ 2030 = 17. I then evenly distributed another 1 gallon of bleach. Lots of more brushing, mixing, skimming for a half hour.
FC @ 0345 or O' Dark 30 = 15.5. I then evenly distributed another 1 gallon of bleach. Too tired for any brushing at this hour ;)

Woke up at 0630 and man wow what a difference this effort has made to this original green monster. I am actually starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel and is starting to feel good! Now if I can just keep at it for a few more days like this before work interferes........I'll get more pictures angled from the stairs later in the day, need some coffee first.

- - - Updated - - -

View attachment 60479

Losing 10+ FC in a 24 Hour Period!...Crystal Clear Water....All Readings Perfect

Hi all, thanks for the continuing support and advice so far in getting my pool up to this point so far.

It started out as a nightmare swamp 2 weeks ago and I am still in the SLAM process and looking for some input on why I am still loosing 10+ FC everyday but the water is completely crystal clear and can see the main drain picture perfect on the bottom. I have read that I may be having an ammonia issue left by the dead algae but not sure.

I am still 2 weeks out since starting the SLAM and still having to dump 2-3 gallons of bleach everyday. I am now up to about 30 gallons of bleach so far in 2 weeks and starting to wonder when it will end this is getting too time consuming and expensive at this point and any recommendations would be more than appreciated!

Readings an hour ago:

FC = 7 (Added 2 gallons of bleach as each gallons raises FC by 5)
CYA = 35
Alkalinity = 120
PH = 7.2IMG_20170520_083604.jpg

Re: Losing 10+ FC in a 24 Hour Period!...Crystal Clear Water....All Readings Perfect

Wanted to add that the pool is literally in direct sunlight the majority of the day and am wondering if a SWG would help alleviate some of the maintanance issues as we are extremely busy and if may reduce the burden somewhat to switch over to SWB then would love to hear what some of you might think....Take Care

I'd get suspicious of that ladder. People have found the tubes full of sludge. Beneath the rungs is another common algae lurking spot. Also behind the lights.

Check some of these pictures
Problem Found and Ideas needed
Water problems
Think I may have found my FC demand issue?

If you don't find anything, then maybe it's time to try the OCLT. If it passes, then you can raise CYA and cut your sunlight losses. You have a bad combination for UV losses right now: high FC and low CYA Check out this graph and note how at higher concentrations, the loss is faster (steeper slope) and that the graph stops at 10ppm. Gotta figure 16 FC is going to be steeper yet.
ChlorineLoss.gif

I get the feeling you are not following the SLAM Process procedure correctly. Testign and FC adjustment back to shock level should be taking place a minimum of 3 times a day.

As Richard points out, FC loss to UV is higher the higher the concentration in the water. You can loose half of the FC above the protected level in an hour or two. So, with CYA of 40 your first 3ppm is protected by the CYA, leaving 14 unprotected.

So, at the end of a couple of hours the 14 becomes 7; a couple of more hours and 7 becomes 3.5; a couple of more hours and 3.5 becomes 1.75......

As you can see, the FC quickly drops to the point that you are no longer at shock level and really not fighting the organics in the water.

An Overnight Chlorine Loss Test is the way to prove that the organics are there or gone, total daily loss really doesn't count for much due to the UV loss.

The ladder checked out fine but will have to get to the light another time just too busy with family, work, etc.....Will do the OCLT tonight and report back.

tim, I would say that I have been somewhat slacking on the SLAM process ever since the pool really started to clear up again busy as heck with work and other pressing life matters but going to do my best to stay more on top of it. Now I need more DPD powder and have already gone through 2 bottles of the stuff and not going to lie because it starts getting very very discouraging at always having to spend so much money and it makes me in my case start to loose interest just being honest but trying to change my attitude...:D

tim, I would say that I have been somewhat slacking on the SLAM process ever since the pool really started to clear up again busy as heck with work and other pressing life matters but going to do my best to stay more on top of it. Now I need more DPD powder and have already gone through 2 bottles of the stuff and not going to lie because it starts getting very very discouraging at always having to spend so much money and it makes me in my case start to loose interest just being honest but trying to change my attitude...:D
I will be honest, the folks who have problems with the SLAM Process are teh ones who admit that it started to look good so they backed off.

You gotta follow it to the end. You will be amazed at how the water will look and how easy it is to maintain once it's there.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have a new pool, so I haven't had to SLAM before, but I've read posts where folks have used upwards of 80 gallons to get their pool cleared, so don't get discouraged. I had been buying my bleach (Clorox) at Sam's or the generic brand at Wal-Mart, but I have recently discovered that Aldi supermarkets has the lowest prices in my area. Also, be careful buying bleach at "everything's a dollar" type stores, because the product may be an old lot and the bleach not as strong.

I know it is expensive to get a pool cleared up (or in my case, get one started) but I've done the math, and the TFP method is much less expensive than buying "pool" chemicals at a pool store or even a big box store. Just keep it up, this method works and you'll have a great looking pool in no time.

Once your pool passed the OCLT things will definitely get easier. A SCG will make it easier still. It took me a week to get my pool clear - but not TFP *SPARKLE* clear. That took another ten days! The last 5% will take as long as the first 95% but once you're there, nothing else will be acceptable! (It won't take as much chlorine, just maintaining and vacuuming.)

It has now been a week and I have been religiously maintaining the SLAM process but did slack for a few days when it really started to turn clear and ALWAYS ensure there is at least 20 FC at all times but I am still loosing 10 FC in a 24 hour period. The pool is sparkling crystal clear can see a coin at the deep end and this SLAM process is going on almost a month now since I have started and am almost at 40 gallons of bleach!!! How long is this suppose to last or could last I am not seeing it getting any better and all the reading numbers are perfect. Going a little nuts with having to pour bleach day in and day out everyday for nearly a month and the water has been crystal clear for the last 2 to 3 weeks as well. What the heck is still in the pool that could be causing this?

- - - Updated - - -

Alkalinity = 120
PH = 7.2
CYA = 35 (Well say 40)

- - - Updated - - -

Ladder and light checked out for not harboring hiding algae as well

It has now been a week and I have been religiously maintaining the SLAM process but did slack for a few days when it really started to turn clear
There's a couple things here that might help. Of course you admitted slacking a bit which could've hampered progress slightly. But for a green swamp a week so far is not bad. Now that you have the proper testing tools, you can see results clearly. Something is still amiss. Looking back at the last pic of your pool (very nice by the way), it is a good size but seems pretty straight-forward. Silly question but I have to ask, when you say "light checked" though, that means you actually removed it right? Got behind in the space (niche) and cleaned it? We're in that "details" & "nit-picky" stage where water looks good but you have an excessive FC demand, so we have to be sure.

For some reason your signature isn't showing. Can you check your profile setting please? I think there's a box to check when you want your signature to show for every post. I ask because I don't recall, do you have a sand filter? If so, I was wondering if you've deep cleaned it yet?

The SLAM process has been going on for almost a month now and the sand filter was cleaned and new sand done last year

- - - Updated - - -

Just a visual check of the light, not sure how to remove the light with the pool filled....Do I have to get in the water and use skuba gear? lol

Just a visual check of the light, not sure how to remove the light with the pool filled....Do I have to get in the water and use scuba gear? lol
ha. No. Light fixtures can vary a bit, but one of the most common are the larger 500 watt type lights that are help in place by a retaining ring. It might have one screw at the top or bottom of that ring. Those type of light factures are designed to let water "behind" the bulb in the niche to keep the bulb cool and prevent it from burning out. In those "cavities" algae can grow.

Now if your light is a different type, removing it may not apply. If you're not sure let us know.
dbtgallery.php

Took the light out this weekend and it checked out clean so is there any other possible reasons why I am still loosing 10+ FC in a 24 hour period? Again, the SLAM process has been going on for a month now but I did slack for a few days when it really started clearing up after the first week. Been religiously making sure is always has 16+ FC. I'm baffled, confused and broke (ALMOST 40 GALLONS OF BLEACH SO FAR) LOL!

I'm not seeing it either. From your pool pic, it's a vinyl with fiberglass steps. Other than the ladder on the deep end, which you stated you inspected, I don't see anything else in the water. FC will drop from two things: the sun or algae. The only thing that could skew those results or expectations would be incorrect chemistry. By that I mean an incorrect CYA reading resulting in the incorrect corresponding FC SLAM/Shock level.

Is your CYA still 40? Is the water still clear all the way across to the deep end? And just out of curiosity, have you tried an overnight (OCLT) test recently? I see above you were going to do one but I didn't see the results. Normally the OCLT is held to the very last, so in your case I'm curious.

CYA is still @ 35 and crystal clear at the deep end can see main drain plain as day. My apologies as I did do an OCLT (after dusk and before dawn) on 052017 and on 052517 and both times there was an FC loss of 3. Like I said, the pool is in direct sunlight so my fear is that I am just naturally loosing 10+ FC every single day with this pool setup and will have to put 2 gallons of bleach daily....Frustrating to say the least

Like you, my pool is exposed to full sun all day. It's starting to get extremely hot now in South TX, and if the CYA is not elevated to accommodate that intense sun, FC will drop faster. If the OCLTs were successful, I'd recommend elevating the CYA. Unfortunately, the sun doesn't play a part in the OCLT. The fact that you lost 3 ppm of FC on your OCLT tells us there is something still in that water. The only other explanation would be a testing error, but I doubt that's the case. To ask a repetitive question only because we're running out of options:
- That ladder .... does it come apart? Were you able to separate each rung/step and also get into the steel poles themselves?
- You noted above the sand was new and changed last year; have you opened it up this year? Perhaps a deep clean might show something?
- There aren't any folds in your liner are there? Usually it's common with above ground pools, but figured I ask anyways.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.