New (to me) Pool Owner with Test Results

Apr 23, 2017
Turlock, CA
Good Morning,

I just purchased a home a few months ago that had a pool (built in 1990 if that matters). It's a 23k gallon gunite with a Hayward sand filter and Kreepy Krauly sweep. The deep end and tops of steps has some brownish stains - I believe these are organic because I placed a chlorine puck on one of the stains for a few minutes and it cleared up a in a circle. I found some pictures of the backyard from when the home was foreclosed on in 2012 and it looks like the pool was drained and left as a swamp in the deep end.

Since purchasing I have been running the filter 3 hours a day, sweeping weekly, backwashing monthly, and keeping the chlorine tab floater replenished with about 3 pucks at any given time. This has kept the pool fairly clean for the winter since we are not using it. I had the water tested a couple times from a pool store and they said everything looked fine.

Now that it has started to warm up in CA, I've noticed that it got a little cloudy, so I upped the filter time to 6 hrs/day. Then I found this great forum and figured I would check in here before going any further. Based on the advice here, I bought a Taylor K-2006 and just ran my first test:

CC - Filled tube to 10ML and put to .5 dippers of 0870 - turned pink right away
FC - 4.0 PPM
PH - 7.0
Alkalinity - 80
CH - 320
CYA - >100 it was about 1/2 an inch below the 100 mark!!

Any advice on where to go from here? Also, will getting the chemicals all balanced right remove the organic stains on their own or will I need something different for that problem?

Thanks,
Aaron

Ok. So I just drained about 3/4 of the pool and have started refilling, which should take around 2 days. Should I be adding anything while it's filling, or just wait until it's full, test, and go from there?
If you're paranoid, you could add some bleach. Pour it into the fill stream and then brush things around a little.

I don't know that I'd bother. If the pool was otherwise healthy, it'll take more than two days to go green.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.