Hayward .75 eyeball turning angle, leaking normal?

My hayward widemouth came with a hayward .75" eyeball which i installed on my intex pool.

I currently have it aiming upward and as much to the left as i can.

I think ideally i want this aiming down and to the left.. however.. i noticed when i first installed it, if i didnt crank it all the way to the right/clockwise to where it is now, it leaked around the thread around the "eye".. is that normal? IE: to turn downward i think ill have to loosen it.. it just doesnt rotate freely but must rotate around the inner threads?

Anyone know on this?

Thanks

The ring on the inside of the pool holds the eye in place. The eye itself is just a ball with a hole in the center. If you loosen the ring holding the ball, then re-aim the ball where you want it, then tighten the ring back down.

My hayward widemouth came with a hayward .75" eyeball which i installed on my intex pool.

I currently have it aiming upward and as much to the left as i can.

I think ideally i want this aiming down and to the left.. however.. i noticed when i first installed it, if i didnt crank it all the way to the right/clockwise to where it is now, it leaked around the thread around the "eye".. is that normal? IE: to turn downward i think ill have to loosen it.. it just doesnt rotate freely but must rotate around the inner threads?

Anyone know on this?

Thanks
How do you see an underwater leak? Your return eyeball should be underwater. If it's inside the pool where it 'leaks', it's trivial unless it's so bad that it effects the performance of the return jet.

Or am I missing something here LOL?

How do you see an underwater leak? Your return eyeball should be underwater. If it's inside the pool where it 'leaks', it's trivial unless it's so bad that it effects the performance of the return jet.

Or am I missing something here LOL?
lol, this was before my return was completely surrounded by water.. the one that came with this widemouth doesnt turn.. at least not the eye itself.. I think this is a picture of it
6983.jpg
The leak was on the part that twists with the vertical lines on it in the picture.. until i used a wrench and tightened that, it leaked around that inner threading

Perhaps i should replace the one that came with the kit with this one?

Those are the same eyeballs.

If you unscrew that outer ring, you can remove the eyeball. Clean both the eyeball, the 'socket' part in the return & back side of the outer ring. When you reassemble lightly coat the eyeball as well as the threads on the inside of the outer ring with silicone o-ring lube and reassemble hand tight.

When I adjust mine, I loosen the outer ring a bit, re-position the eyeball, then hand snug the outer ring. the o-ring lube keeps everything moving (somewhat) freely.

Don't over tighten it, if it's too loose you'll know by the eyeball moving under the water restriction pressure.

Don't worry about leaks on the inside.

Those are the same eyeballs.

If you unscrew that outer ring, you can remove the eyeball. Clean both the eyeball, the 'socket' part in the return & back side of the outer ring. When you reassemble lightly coat the eyeball as well as the threads on the inside of the outer ring with silicone o-ring lube and reassemble hand tight.

When I adjust mine, I loosen the outer ring a bit, re-position the eyeball, then hand snug the outer ring. the o-ring lube keeps everything moving (somewhat) freely.

Don't over tighten it, if it's too loose you'll know by the eyeball moving under the water restriction pressure.

Don't worry about leaks on the inside.
Ok, but the eyeball the 0.75" part.. doesnt move.. only the whole inner ring correct? at least thats how it is on mine.. if i remove it now, may leak on the other side, or maybe not, guess ill find out

The eyeball assembly is the outer ring, eyeball, and inner sleeve, with the latter threaded to screw into your 1-1/2" wall fitting.

The outer ring unscrews from the threaded sleeve, loosening its grip on the round eyeball so you can adjust it.

I leave the ring and sleeve just tight enough to hold the eyeball in place. When I need to remove/install the threaded sleeve to the wall fitting, I use this:

https://www.amazon.com/Hayward-SP14...93397086&sr=1-1&keywords=hayward+eyeball+tool

- - - Updated - - -

I found this exploded view:

eyeball.jpg

That assembly screws into the wall fitting.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.