Not making sense

Unbelievable, right? I couldnt believe it either. Started shocking at around 1 yesterday and it is here already!!

I was checking every hour or so and kept it above shock level. What I think made all the difference was that I added DE to the sand. It was amazing how much quicker that thing started to filter.

Since there seems to be some questions about your true pool size, I used the Poolmath calculator to estimate. I used 25K as a pool size, and to increase FC from zero to "24" is 7 gallons of regular 8.25% bleach. Of course if you have some FC in there now, you won't need as much. But once elevated to "24" then it's a matter of simply maintaining it.
Don't be so tough on yourself. The elevated CYA keeps the FC safe and helps protect it from the sun. As long as you don't use tablets or add any forms of stabilizer, it will slowly/eventually go down from splashout and backwashing. For what it's worth, I keep my CYA at about 60 (sometimes higher) down here where I'm at because the sun is so intense. You probably don't have quite the same problem, but once you get past the SLAM, it will be fine.

although I would imagine any SLAM situation you enter into, having a much lower CYA would certainly be of benefit as I understand it (keep in mind I am a bit of a novice)

Update:

Started SLAM 9 days ago. The pool is passing the OFCT and CC is 0.5

But... the pool is still cloudy, can only see about a few feet into deep end!! Running sand filter 24/7 and keeping FC between 23-27 (Shock level is 20).

Can I let it drift down considering that it is passing the test, just waiting for this sloooowwww sand filter to do it's job. Also, I'm itching to flock!

Is the filter up to the task of cleaning out this pool?!

I wouldn't drop the FC just yet. Water clarity is a big deal. Definitely do not Floc at this time. That could cause more problems than you want. I don't recall .... have you done a sand "deep clean" yet? If not, that would be the first thing I would recommend as noted on the TFP Deep Cleaning a Sand Filter page. It's very possible your sand is compacted or channeled preventing efficient filtering.

Deep cleaning sounds like a big deal, taking off the top cover and everything. Is the sand filter supposed to have the pool clean after days of 24/7 filtering? If so, I guess will have to do the deep clean because it certainly has not done the job yet.<br><br><br>On a different note, I was in the pool store today and they have a whole aisle of products promising to turn the pool from "green to Clean" in 24-48 hours. And then saw a clarifier packet that you drop in the skimmer and it claims that the cloudy water will be cleared right up.<br><br>And then there are the algeacides and basically "treatment in a bottle" for turning over the swamp. So why are we adding gallons and gallons of bleach and running our filters for two weeks straight when the commercial products can do the job with a "set it and forget it" approach.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So why are we adding gallons and gallons of bleach and running our filters for two weeks straight when the commercial products can do the job with a "set it and forget it" approach.
Because those snake oils do not work. Many of them add by-products that make pool treatment more difficult. The most significant thing those products do it take your money. Bleach (chlorine) is without a doubt the best sanitizer and will kill algae when applied in the proper strength (compared to current CYA).

As for filters, each come with their own advantages/disadvantages. For the most part, sand filters are liked by many for their ease of frequent cleaning - basically easy backwashing. Simply turn a valve a couple times and you're done. Some DE's are the same way. Cartridge of course has to be removed and rinsed-off, but again, each owner has their preference. Over time, sand can become compacted/channeled. It's just a normal thing that happens. The sand is still good and never goes bad (unless pool store junk is added), but it needs to be "fluffed-up" via the deep clean method. That's not something that needs to be done often, but in your case it sounds like your filter's performance could improve from it. Others have posted stating how surprised they were when they looked inside and deep cleaned the sand.

Yet, folks line up at the pool stores. Hmmm...
Exactly! Amazing right? I went to the pool store this morning to get some muriatic acid. The woman before me spent $101 on 2 jugs Pool Perfect. I was in & out for under $14 for 2 gallons of MA. My pool hasn't been green since I adopted TFP methodology 4 years ago. If I ever do get a hint of something odd (slightly hazy or something) I know exactly what to do. Bleach is cheap, reliable with no side-effects, and then I simply follow-through with my brushing, filter cleaning, etc. For pool stores, it's all about the Benjamin's ($$$$$).

Hang in there. You're making progress. You're in what many would consider the most difficult part of the SLAM - final water clearing (patience). We'll be curious to know what you observe when you do take the top off and perform the deep clean.

Thanks.

Exactly! Amazing right? I went to the pool store this morning to get some muriatic acid. The woman before me spent $101 on 2 jugs Pool Perfect. I was in & out for under $14 for 2 gallons of MA. My pool hasn't been green since I adop
ted TFP methodology 4 years ago. If I ever do get a hint of something odd (slightly hazy or something) I know exactly what to do.

I assume that you do not close for the winter. Every Spring opens to swamp.

I still have to assume those commercial products must be doing something because people keep going back.

I still have to assume those commercial products must be doing something because people keep going back.
It's because everyone wants a magic bullet set it and forget it pool. Time and thousands of users have proven that don't work real well long term. Ends up costing more with the pool store fixes they offer than it did causing the problems in the first place.

You're correct. I don't close because we don't have long/hard-freezes where I'm at, but algae doesn't like cold water anyways. For those of TFP members who do close each winter, a lot of what they open-up to in the spring depends on how the water was prepared when the pool was closed. Still, a spring SLAM is not at all uncommon. Before TFP, I used all of those $50-$60 bottles, not to mention chlorine tablets and bags of shock. It didn't matter. The pool store also never warned me that THEIR recommendations and products would increase my CYA to the point that I had to drain most of my water to lower the CYA. Yet they were happy to sell me more tabs and bags of shock. :grrrr: I was literally in that store everyday. Then I learned the basic principles taught here at TFP and Pool School's Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry, and my pool has never been better. Just like you learned that testing with your own TF-100 provides accurate at-home results more reliable than the store, the same applies to what you put in it.

Not arguing with that. TFP and the TF-100 with this forum is a life-saver, not to mention a money-saver. Just always looking to learn and understand. Those pool store products are very seductive ;)

About the deep clean, went home and noticed that the plumbing goes right into the multiport, so would need to start cutting pipe and installing unions...the filter was installed new last year. Is it likely that it needs to be deep cleaned already?

so would need to start cutting pipe and installing unions...the filter was installed new last year.
Ugh! Well, that could make a difference. Being so new, I normally wouldn't be so worried about a deep clean. The only things that would prompt me to deep cleaning sand so new are if I knew pool store products were added previously that could've compromised the sand, or it had been a couple seasons since being deep cleaned. Of course in our seats here at TFP, we don't see/know what you do. The amount of junk and algae on any pool system can disrupt things quickly. While I know at some point you will need to gain access to the sand, I'd hate to tell you to cut lines at this very moment for the deep clean. It's a shame unions weren't installed at the time the filter was installed. As in many cases, future maintenance isn't always considered when installing something .... like spark plugs on a car. :hammer: In your case, I'm simply going to leave it up to you as a judgment call. I'll say this ..... you've been SLAMming for about a week and a half. You might SLAM for another 2-3 days and see some good clarity improvement. If not though, and assuming there is absolutely nothing else in the pool that could be contributing to the water clarity (material behind lights, inside ladders/steps, etc), then the only other thing would be the sand.

Pool store "stuff" does work, initially and for awhile. They are like drugs, initial "high" (clean pool) and pleasing but then they hook you and you need more and more (i.e.money) to keep the "high" until finally, they have no effect at all no matter how much you take (in this case, give as in your money). I know as I spent 15 years addicted to the pool store. Switched to TFP a year ago and my pool (and wallet) have never been better.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.