Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Adding Muriatic Acid to Lower TA Question

  1. Back To Top    #1
    mickey4paws's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    S.E. MI
    Posts
    540

    Adding Muriatic Acid to Lower TA Question

    My numbers:
    FC 4
    CC .5
    PH 7.5
    TA 120 (fluctuates between 120 and 130)
    CYA 55

    I want to bring my numbers in range for a SWG. I want to bring TA down to 80 or 90 so I'm going to add muriatic acid today. I'm thinking to calculate, I will bring PH to 7.1. I've never used muriatic acid before so have a couple of questions:

    I have a vinyl lined pool, so I will get a 5 gallon bucket of pool water and add the acid to that, then slowly poor in front of a return, correct?

    How long does it need to circulate? After that period of time, is it okay to cover the pool with solar cover? Oh wait, I'll need to aerate so guess the solar cover should be kept off until PH is back to good level. Also, how long after adding, is it safe to swim?

    For getting the PH back up, I will turn the jets upwards. We also have a small pool cover pump. Would putting that on a step of my ladder do anything for aeration?

    Lastly, after TA is in range, I would like to bring up my CYA to 75 or 80. How long after doing the muriatic acid addition should I wait before adding the CYA (I will be using liquid stabilizer).

    Any guidance is greatly appreciated.
    IG 12' x 39' - 20k Gallons - Vinyl Lined - StaRite Cristal-Flo II 26" Sand Filter - Hayward SuperPump 1 hp - Dolphin Dynamic autocleaner - Lochinvar Energyrite gas heater - Aqua Rite SWCG T-15 - TF100 Test Kit - Skimlite Duallly 9016 pole (great pole)

  2. Back To Top    #2
    Guest

    Re: Adding Muriatic Acid to Lower TA Question

    Quote Originally Posted by mickey4paws
    My numbers:
    FC 4
    CC .5
    PH 7.5
    TA 120 (fluctuates between 120 and 130)
    CYA 55

    I want to bring my numbers in range for a SWG. I want to bring TA down to 80 or 90 so I'm going to add muriatic acid today. I'm thinking to calculate, I will bring PH to 7.1. I've never used muriatic acid before so have a couple of questions:

    I have a vinyl lined pool, so I will get a 5 gallon bucket of pool water and add the acid to that, then slowly poor in front of a return, correct?
    yep, afterward give the pool a brush to "stir" it
    How long does it need to circulate? After that period of time, is it okay to cover the pool with solar cover? Oh wait, I'll need to aerate so guess the solar cover should be kept off until PH is back to good level. Also, how long after adding, is it safe to swim?
    Run the pump 24/7 while adding acid and aerating. You can swim after about 3o minutes, just check the ph and make sure you didn't drop it lower than 7.0. (yellow orange color. pure yellow is too low). Splashing a lot helps with the aeration and is fun!
    For getting the PH back up, I will turn the jets upwards. We also have a small pool cover pump. Would putting that on a step of my ladder do anything for aeration?
    If it shoots the water in the air like a fountain it will help. One of the best ways to aerate is to get an inexpensive floating fountain that hooks up to your return.
    They can be had for around $40 and they are also great at pool parties and backyard BBQs!

    Lastly, after TA is in range, I would like to bring up my CYA to 75 or 80. How long after doing the muriatic acid addition should I wait before adding the CYA (I will be using liquid stabilizer).
    Put the CYA into your skimmer slowly and then add your acid. Don't even worry about the CYA and test it in a week! Use a sock if you want. I never do.
    Any guidance is greatly appreciated.
    Hope this helps!

  3. Back To Top    #3
    mickey4paws's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    S.E. MI
    Posts
    540

    Re: Adding Muriatic Acid to Lower TA Question

    Thanks so much, Waterbear, I really appreciate it. I wanted to mention I will be using liquid stabilizer (got a good deal on it). I still have 1 gallon left and hope it's going to be enough. Thanks for the tip on the fountains. I'll definitely check that out.
    IG 12' x 39' - 20k Gallons - Vinyl Lined - StaRite Cristal-Flo II 26" Sand Filter - Hayward SuperPump 1 hp - Dolphin Dynamic autocleaner - Lochinvar Energyrite gas heater - Aqua Rite SWCG T-15 - TF100 Test Kit - Skimlite Duallly 9016 pole (great pole)

  4. Back To Top    #4
    mickey4paws's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    S.E. MI
    Posts
    540

    Re: Adding Muriatic Acid to Lower TA Question

    I added 56 oz of muriatic acid 2 hours ago. Just tested PH and it's at 7.2 and TYA is either 90 or 100. My question is when doing the TYA test (tf100 test kit), at 9 drops it turns pink, but at 10 drops it turns a deep pink. Is it the deeper pink color, or the lighter pink color to go with?

    Lastly (I hope), will my TYA continue to lower as it filters more, or is this it?

    Thanks!!
    IG 12' x 39' - 20k Gallons - Vinyl Lined - StaRite Cristal-Flo II 26" Sand Filter - Hayward SuperPump 1 hp - Dolphin Dynamic autocleaner - Lochinvar Energyrite gas heater - Aqua Rite SWCG T-15 - TF100 Test Kit - Skimlite Duallly 9016 pole (great pole)

  5. Back To Top    #5
    Guest

    Re: Adding Muriatic Acid to Lower TA Question

    Quote Originally Posted by mickey4paws
    I added 56 oz of muriatic acid 2 hours ago. Just tested PH and it's at 7.2 and TYA is either 90 or 100. My question is when doing the TYA test (tf100 test kit), at 9 drops it turns pink, but at 10 drops it turns a deep pink. Is it the deeper pink color, or the lighter pink color to go with?

    Lastly (I hope), will my TYA continue to lower as it filters more, or is this it?

    Thanks!!
    Keep adding drops until one more drop does not produce further color change and then do not count that last drop.
    So if 9 drops turned red and 10 drops a deeper red and you put in an 11th drop and there was no further change you would stop at 10 drops. If the color changed add a twelfth drop and see if it changes or not. If is doesn't then stop at the 11th drop, and so on....

  6. Back To Top    #6
    mickey4paws's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    S.E. MI
    Posts
    540

    Re: Adding Muriatic Acid to Lower TA Question

    Oh, got it, thanks Waterbear I'll do that on my next test.

    So do you think the TA will keep going down overnight, or is the test I did as far down as it will go? Just wondering at what point I might add a little more acid. I'm going to assume my TA test was 100, but will run another later on.

    Thanks again!
    IG 12' x 39' - 20k Gallons - Vinyl Lined - StaRite Cristal-Flo II 26" Sand Filter - Hayward SuperPump 1 hp - Dolphin Dynamic autocleaner - Lochinvar Energyrite gas heater - Aqua Rite SWCG T-15 - TF100 Test Kit - Skimlite Duallly 9016 pole (great pole)

  7. Back To Top    #7
    Guest

    Re: Adding Muriatic Acid to Lower TA Question

    adding acid lowers TA...you then aerate to bring the pH back up enough so you can add more acid to lower the TA some more. You repeat until the TA is lowered enough.

  8. Back To Top    #8
    mickey4paws's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    S.E. MI
    Posts
    540

    Re: Adding Muriatic Acid to Lower TA Question

    Thanks, Waterbear. I just found and printed out your article here: how-to-lower-ta-t5341.html
    What a wonderful guide. Thank you so much for taking the time to do this. It is greatly appreciated! I was very nervous adding muriatic acid for the first time but it wasn't too bad. Without this forum and your help I would have never attempted something like this on my own. It's so nice not having to depend on someone else to maintain our pool.
    IG 12' x 39' - 20k Gallons - Vinyl Lined - StaRite Cristal-Flo II 26" Sand Filter - Hayward SuperPump 1 hp - Dolphin Dynamic autocleaner - Lochinvar Energyrite gas heater - Aqua Rite SWCG T-15 - TF100 Test Kit - Skimlite Duallly 9016 pole (great pole)

  9. Back To Top    #9
    Guest

    Re: Adding Muriatic Acid to Lower TA Question

    Quote Originally Posted by mickey4paws
    Thanks, Waterbear. I just found and printed out your article here: how-to-lower-ta-t5341.html
    What a wonderful guide. Thank you so much for taking the time to do this. It is greatly appreciated! I was very nervous adding muriatic acid for the first time but it wasn't too bad. Without this forum and your help I would have never attempted something like this on my own. It's so nice not having to depend on someone else to maintain our pool.
    That's why we are here.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •