Turning SWG off??

mclemn

Mar 16, 2017
Virginia Beach
So I am new to the SWG. Grew up with a chlorine tabs. Just had new system installed. Reading through the manual for the Salt System I came across this warning: This Salt System power supply must be connected to the same source power supply as the circulating pump provides water flow to the cell. Any isolation switch, time clock, or control that operated the circulating pump must simultaneously operate the Salt System control. Page 2 http://cdn.lesliespool.com/wpdf/INST%20397%20Jacuzzi%20J-SS40%20Salt%20System.pdf

Does this mean that the pump timer should also run the SWG or that I need to manually turn off the salt system? Emailed Leslie's (who did the install and now owns Jacuzzi) and did not get much help.

You should have it wired as soon as possible to prevent accidental operation with the pump off. In the interim, yes, please manually turn off the generator anytime the pump is off, not just at night.

The risk, although rare, is an explosion. The flow sensor is designed to prevent that, but it could fail, so please don't take that chance.

Have them come out and wire it properly since you paid for the work! When pump is energized (through the timer or pool controller) the same should happen for the swg. When the power is cut to the pump, it should cut power to the swg as well. Normally they just piggy back the wires from the pump power source to grab power for the swg.

You can run the pump without the SWG running, but you should not power on the SWG without the pump running. Many will power them from the same timer so the SWG and pump would run at the same time. If you want to be able to run the pump at times without the SWG, then you can use other methods - like two timers, automation, or a fancier timer that an control both.

While you are at it, you might want to consider a second controller for your SWG. In my case my solar panels had the pump running a lot of hours, which increased hours on the SWG, and had the tendency to over chlorinate my pool one week, and under chlorinate it the next. I wired a second timer in the series so the SWG:

A - was energized only when the pump was running
B - turned off and on per my timer only when the pump was running.

So now I have independent control of the hours my SWG runs.

What timer did you buy for your SWG?

While you are at it, you might want to consider a second controller for your SWG. In my case my solar panels had the pump running a lot of hours, which increased hours on the SWG, and had the tendency to over chlorinate my pool one week, and under chlorinate it the next. I wired a second timer in the series so the SWG:

A - was energized only when the pump was running
B - turned off and on per my timer only when the pump was running.

So now I have independent control of the hours my SWG runs.

What timer did you buy for your SWG?

It's the T104 because I'm a 240VAC system. It was a stand alone box. Basically, you wire the two clocks together, and pull your voltage the pump circuit. Be sure to use non metallic conduit, and bond the box.

To wire:

How to wire Intermatic T104 and T103 and T101 timers

Go down to "Two T104 timers for filter and cleaner"

You are not supposed to use two wires to one terminal, but I did. Maybe and electrician can share a "code" hookup scenario.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.