Glass Beads: Do they change the overall color?

We are trying to decide if we want to add blue blend glass beads to the pool finish we picked (most likely pebble sheen aqua blue). Would the overall water color change because of the glass beads? More blue? More intense? Or is it just a sparkling effect we can expect? Thank you for any input in advance.

Shantelly-- Hard to answer that question. You need to get prices of all the colors you are interested in... those without glass beads and those that come with them. And see what just adding the beads costs. To add it to Pebble Tech, we were quoted several thousand versus $350 for hand cast abalone shells.

One of the reasons we went with Wet Edge over Pebble Tech is that the 2 colors of Prism Matrix that were Level One happened to be the ones we liked best... so we got shells & glass beads for only a little more than Tahoe Blue Pebble Tech, which is their Level One Pebble.

We found they add to the blueness of the water and the sparkle... we added extra shell, hand cast, but our finish came with the beads. Close up photo right after filling.

DSC02813.jpg

But different levels of pebble, and pebble/glass blends have different prices. Ask your PB for a price list.

DSC02816.jpg

Thanks Bwana. We are doing CL Industries pebble finish in blue pearl. I don't recall glass beads. I have read bad things about the abalone shells on here as they are organic matter and can turn a nasty color as they break down? I will check and see what PB says though hubby is like no more spending!! Lol That water is stunning!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We were quoted (for a 100' perimeter pool, 3.5' to 7' deep): 3k to add glass beads in the mix with pebble sheen aqua blue, $750 to hand seed them. Also, we were quoted $350 to hand seed abalone. Hope this is useful info for somebody.

We had glass beads added to Tahoe blue pebbletec. I think the beads were around $1700. They mixed them in with the pebbles.

Reactions: run2bfit
We are looking to do beads as well (Puerto Rican Blend) just wondering which color beads are the best if I'm trying to get a vibrant medium blue color?
I would like to stay away from green color water and beads that will make it green

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had abalone in the previous finish-- a Diamond Brite white plaster that the previous owner put in. At nineteen years, they were still sparkling and never discolored. Maybe it depends on the type of shell used or the chemistry of the pool water?

Don't know, but do know I'm so glad we went with the shells... they sparkle like crazy in the sun... so pretty.

We are looking to do beads as well (Puerto Rican Blend) just wondering which color beads are the best if I'm trying to get a vibrant medium blue color?
I would like to stay away from green color water and beads that will make it green

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would go with blue; also grey and black can enhance the blue color. Stay away from greens, gold, tan, or anything brown, which will yield green.

We used jade mix which has an equal amount of blue and green plus some clear and bronze beads. But our base color is blu/green and I wanted to enhance that, not pull it more towards blue or green alone, if that makes sense.

Shantelly-- Hard to answer that question. You need to get prices of all the colors you are interested in... those without glass beads and those that come with them. And see what just adding the beads costs. To add it to Pebble Tech, we were quoted several thousand versus $350 for hand cast abalone shells.

One of the reasons we went with Wet Edge over Pebble Tech is that the 2 colors of Prism Matrix that were Level One happened to be the ones we liked best... so we got shells & glass beads for only a little more than Tahoe Blue Pebble Tech, which is their Level One Pebble.

We found they add to the blueness of the water and the sparkle... we added extra shell, hand cast, but our finish came with the beads. Close up photo right after filling.

View attachment 59988

But different levels of pebble, and pebble/glass blends have different prices. Ask your PB for a price list.

View attachment 59989

That looks gorgeous!!! Ugh! I so badly want to add the beads. We were hesitant to do the shells because of the issues I had read on here (discoloration), but looking at how it shimmers is making me wonder if we should reconsider.

Do the shells have sharp edges at all?

Reactions: cgtx
Nope, no sharp edges. The texuture is similar to an orange peel. We love it. I've heard people say things about discoloration of the shells but the plaster we had before we went to pebble had it in it for 20 years and no discoloration. The discoloration we got was due to berries off the yaupon holly tree-- which we got rid of prior to refinishing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.