Skim a round

I bought one for my fiancee's pool, it's the Ultimate model, which you can run on the surface above the pool vac, Or by itself if you like. It works pretty well, but I have to slow down her Baracuda MX8 more than I would like. But I think I will buy a variable speed pump to replace her 1 hp old pump, to run her solar and spa.

Helpful hints:
1. Remove any flow regulators at the pool skimmer that you might be using for the pool vac.
2. It looked like the pool was not currently pulling suction from the bottom main drain, so no adjustment needed there.
3. I installed the two velocity increasers on the Skim-A-Round, which meant that water from surface was being pulled. I closed the valve on the Skim-A-Round pool vac attachment as much as I could, still allowing the Baracuda MX8 to run, although pretty slowly.

I bought the All in One skimmer basket. I have to pretty much turn off my other skimmer and main drain in order to get enough suction to create even a small whirling effect. I just have a 1hp pump and it says it was designed for 2hp pumps. Guess I should've done my homework before buying...

I tried the Skim-A-Round with my The Pool Cleaner, instead of fiancee's Baracuda MX8. Skim-A-Round worked better with The Pool Cleaner. Still not totally impressive, but works better. Probably need a bigger pump than her 1 hp pump. Tried to get her pool guy to clean out her cartridge filter. "I cleaned it out two months ago", was his answer to her. I don't know how he knew when to clean it out, since the pressure gauge on the filter was not working. I replaced it, and it was about 20 psi.

What is impressive it using the Skim-A-Round by itself, just hooked up to the pool skimmer. Clears stuff off the surface really fast.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Any updates on how this is working for the folks that have tried it?
So I finally talked to my buddy that I gave the all in one to and he says it works as advertised he has an old pump with no vsp so he doesn't have to turn any valves off. He said it really does create the venturi effect and works great. So what I'm getting out of the all in one is it doesn't work great for variable speed pumps on low rpms which defeats the purpose of vsp. Hope this helps.

I am trying to understand the mechanics of how this thing is supposed to increase the velocity through the skimmer opening. The flow through the opening can be expressed by Q=VA.

• Q (flow) is determined by the pump. This number doesn't change whether the skim-a-round is installed or not.
  • A is the cross sectional area of the skimmer opening (WXD). The width is fixed.

So, the only way this device could increase the velocity of the water is to reduce the water depth going through the skimmer opening. I don't see how this is possible...

I am trying to understand the mechanics of how this thing is supposed to increase the velocity through the skimmer opening. The flow through the opening can be expressed by Q=VA.

• Q (flow) is determined by the pump. This number doesn't change whether the skim-a-round is installed or not.
  • A is the cross sectional area of the skimmer opening (WXD). The width is fixed.

So, the only way this device could increase the velocity of the water is to reduce the water depth going through the skimmer opening. I don't see how this is possible...

I agree with you - I have no doubt that the speed of the water once inside the skimmer is increased by installed the smaller diameter basket, but I don't understand how this translates to improved cleaning since the waterflow into the skimmer from the pool would stay the same....It looks like good marketing to me

Reactions: Silver_2000
I was wondering if this thing worked. Glad I found this thread. Saved me some money. Thanks.

Is the skim doctor any good? Worth the money?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.