Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CC Analogy

1. Back To Top    #1

CC Analogy

I see a lot of people get almost obsessed with CC data, and often without other data or context. I'm trying to come up with an analogy to help simplify it. After a few failures, I landed on dirt in a vacuum cleaner bag. (now that I type it out, perhaps dirt in a pool filter is better... oh well)

CC is the by-product of another action in your pool, much like dirt in a vacuum cleaner is the by-product of housecleaning. Its presence, or lack thereof means nothing without context.

If you vacuum a dirty carpet for hours, but end up with an empty bag, it doesn't mean your carpet is clean. It means your vacuum isn't working. (much like insufficient FC in your pool)

You could vacuum a carpet and end up with an empty bag, but that doesn't mean your vacuum isn't working. Your carpet could've been clean when you started. (properly chlorinated pool without contaminants)

Conversely, you could run that vacuum and find dirt in the bag. That doesn't mean the carpet is still dirty. It means your vacuum did its job and you're looking at the by-product. (FC has oxidized organics)

Does this resonate?
    12,000 gal Diamond Brite indoor​ pool. Pentair Triton TR-60 Sand Filter +added DE, Lochinvar Energyrite ERN-200 gas heater, Pentair Multi-valve, Pentair SuperFlo VS pump, TF-100 kit, Pool Math App - iOS

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: CC Analogy

It sounds like you are trying to make clear that a low or zero CC number doesn't necessarily = good, just as a higher CC number doesn't necessarily = bad

That is what I am taking away from your post at least
    18' x 48" Intex Ultra Frame AGP, ~6,500 gal
    Hayward Perflex EC40 DE Filter, 2 speed 1HP pump, generic brand, through the wall wide mouth skimmer
    Test kit will all the required juices and powders plus the stir monster

3. Back To Top    #3

No, I'm sorry to say it doesn't resonate with me.

Not the smartest guy in the room and there is no argument there, but I'm having difficulty drawing lines between CC and the vac/filter analogy.

Sorry kne, I was away and answered without refreshing the page when I did. Having a higher CC number is never good. Or not ever a desirable thing to see. It means Chlorine has been doing some work, but there is still some, or a lot to go depending on how high the CC number is.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick_B View Post
    No, I'm sorry to say it doesn't resonate with me.

Not the smartest guy in the room and there is no argument there, but I'm having difficulty drawing lines between CC and the vac/filter analogy.

Sorry kne, I was away and answered without refreshing the page when I did. Having a higher CC number is never good. Or not ever a desirable thing to see. It means Chlorine has been doing some work, but there is still some, or a lot to go depending on how high the CC number is.
    You might be the smartest guy in the room! I was just looking for a way to put CC in perspective for people, and to show that context is important.
    12,000 gal Diamond Brite indoor​ pool. Pentair Triton TR-60 Sand Filter +added DE, Lochinvar Energyrite ERN-200 gas heater, Pentair Multi-valve, Pentair SuperFlo VS pump, TF-100 kit, Pool Math App - iOS

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks, but we would have to have several members leave the forum for me to even have a shot at that.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

6. Back To Top    #6

depends on how we define room...