Automatic Pool Covers: Can they be used as a winter cover?

KAZR

Apr 25, 2017
Toledo, Ohio
I just got done reading an older thread about automatic pool covers. We are in the process of choosing
a company to install an in ground fiberglass pool (16x33 or 16x35). We want an automatic pool cover (APC) for safety reasons. I am getting different recommendations from each pool company about whether or not an APC should be used as a winter cover. Some say yes, and some say you also need a regular winter cover. All of the APC companies I contacted say their APCs serve as a safety cover, solar cover, and winter cover. We live in NW Ohio...so we do have all 4 seasons:)
I would appreciate any advice or information from anyone who has used an APC as their winter cover.
Thanks.

We have a CoverStar Leading Edge auto cover that runs in a track under the coping. Everyone that I know in our area has the same auto-cover - very, very few pools that don't have an auto-cover - in fact the PB that built our said he wouldn't sell a pool without one. I don't know of anyone up here that has a separate winter cover, and we definitely get all 4 seasons in North Dakota. In fact, depending on what radio station you tune into they're saying 1-3" or 3-6" of *snow* for tomorrow! It was in the 60's all last week....

The closing practice up here (which I've only observed a few times) is to use a Gizzmo in the skimmers, and to blow out the returns / skimmer lines, capping the returns, and adding anti-freeze. The main drain is pressure locked via the Jandy valve. The pools are closed full, so the water is supporting the weight of the cover...when it starts to thaw out (March?), whatever is on top of the cover thaws first, so people throw the cover pump on and get all of that water off to reduce the weight...

I am in the central part of Missouri and we have used auto covers for over 20 years as the only cover for winter. You need to keep any water off whenever the opportunity to pump it off. We have had large snows in the past and we have tried to get as much of it off to keep from pushing water out from under the covers

I am intrigued by this thread as we are having our auto cover installed this week. We were told we needed a winter cover in addition to this. We live in New Hampshire and some winters we get many feet of snow in a short period of time (i.e. the snow doesn't melt between storms). The area where our pool is happens to be quite sunny and melts quickly but I am wondering if it is too much for the auto cover. Any guidance would be appreciated!

Thank you.

Short answer is yes.

I'm in MN. Pool was frozen at normal water level for 4-5 months. This is our first pool opening, we have an auto cover. There were over 4 inches of ice on it before the spring thaw.

FYI, the cover pump in the picture sucks. That is our second one (under warranty from pool installer) and it's switch has melted just like the first one. I've rewired both of them and have them as a back up for this one.

Some pool companies are like pool stores. Everyone needs to make money...

I choose not to use our autocover as a winter cover. In my build thread there is a lengthy post somewhere discussing the merits for and against. Both of my covers will last longer and replacement will be twice as much.

I do believe there is also more of a concern if you have a gunite pool with waterline tile versus a liner pool. There is more potential for damage to tile than vinyl. How much more I don't know. I keep my water below the tile at all times with my mesh cover by pumping out a few times per winter. Our pool freezes some winters but not others, but not very thick.

To give a counterpoint to the Little Giant pump shown above (if I'm spying it correctly), ours has been great for 4 seasons. I just used it heavily for a month to circulate our pool water due to equipment pad work. I put it on a bench underwater and redirect the water to the other end of the pool. I ran it for an hour or two a day. Otherwise, it is on the autocover if I expect rain.

I have a cover-pools T3 20X40 rectangular gunite pool with 6 inches of top glass tile in New York. We have bad winters. In my experience it is not advisable to use an automatic cover as a winter cover. If you see over 4 inches of ice formation take a close look and you will see the vinyl pushing vertically down along the wall. There is only 3 inches of slack built into the vinyl when it is attached to the automatic reel using 1 to 2 inches of pleating between the fixating screws of the vinyl tothe reel. This is made so the weight of the cover can be supported by the water line. If you drop the water 6 inches to save the tile you will loose 6 inches of cover support plus the 4 inches of ice and other snow will displace water from underneath causing a 10 inch drop. This will rip the webbing off the vinyl or the rail will be bent open to release the rope in the webbing. A proper winter cover has springs which will pop if the springs bottom out. In the case of a automatic cover you will destroy the rails or rip out the webbing from the vinyl cover. A winter cover is spring loaded whereas an automatic cover is rigidly mounted with only 3 inches of vinyl slack. So two conditions must be met 1) the water line must be kept high enough to support the cover which will cause the tiles to be damaged or the skimmer mouth to freeze and rupture. 2) The snow and ice must be removed in the middle of winter which is a very difficult task requiring a steam jet of water and no vacations away during the winter. The cost of such major repairs to the automatic cover and or the pool tiles far exceed the cost of a spring loaded winter cover.

Good info Mitzie. I'm in MN and debating on whether to get the auto cover fixed. Might be worth it for summer use. So mesh cover only in winter, correct?

Correct Wildfan. You can get support to fix automatic covers yourself thru websites such as AutomaticPoolParts.com. Otherwise you will pay a fortune to have contractors fix it for you. I am a do it yourself person which is why I like this forum website so much. Consumers have a choice not to buy products from companies that restrict information and supplies to trade only, forcing consumers to pay very high prices to service the products they sell. The automatic pool cover industry unfortunately has such companies. Don't ruin your investment in your automatic pool cover by using this type of cover thru the winter months during which snow and ice can destroy it. The automatic cover is very convenient and useful during the pool season to keep the pool water warm, clean, save money on chemicals including chlorine which is now expensive, and prevent algae growth by blocking the sun. A winter spring loaded cover on the other hand is tedious and cumbersome to place and remove but will with stand harsh winters and keep the pool water clean from all the debris and leaves and wind swept dust and debris during the winter. It will withstand snow and ice. Remember also that automatic covers are not porous and need a cover pump to remove the water that accumulates on top which must be pumped off to keep excess weight off the fixed tracts and cover webbing. This pump will not pump ice and snow and will self destruct trying to do so. Best answer for Minnesota is that you really need both types of covers but if you can afford only one then the winter cover is more vital.

Reactions: wildfan

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Fixing an automatic pool cover is easier than fixing your car. The main difference is the car industry helps you to fix your car yourself in contrast to the pool industry which keeps it all a trade secret and at the same time restricting the repair and parts manuals, as well as parts acquisition to pool industry only, which can then in turn charge you whatever they want for repairs and often will refuse to sell you the parts you need to do it yourself. The parts used are all cheap stuff made in China but the supply chain is corrupted by proprietary corporate executives paying big money to lobby and block other companies from selling these or aftermarket similar parts that fit. Describe to me your pool cover repair and I can help you to fix it yourself. The winter cover install can also be done by you and there is a lot of customer access to information and material acquisition at reasonable cost by the companies that sell spring loaded covers. This spring loaded cover companies have a lot of company competition for the consumer which is a good thing unlike the automatic pool cover companies that use monopoly tactics that are very harmful to consumers and a free economy.

Last edited:
Correct Wildfan. You can get support to fix automatic covers yourself thru websites such as AutomaticPoolParts.com. Otherwise you will pay a fortune to have contractors fix it for you. I am a do it yourself person which is why I like this forum website so much. Consumers have a choice not to buy products from companies that restrict information and supplies to trade only, forcing consumers to pay very high prices to service the products they sell. The automatic pool cover industry unfortunately has such companies. Don't ruin your investment in your automatic pool cover by using this type of cover thru the winter months during which snow and ice can destroy it. The automatic cover is very convenient and useful during the pool season to keep the pool water warm, clean, save money on chemicals including chlorine which is now expensive, and prevent algae growth by blocking the sun. A winter spring loaded cover on the other hand is tedious and cumbersome to place and remove but will with stand harsh winters and keep the pool water clean from all the debris and leaves and wind swept dust and debris during the winter. It will withstand snow and ice. Remember also that automatic covers are not porous and need a cover pump to remove the water that accumulates on top which must be pumped off to keep excess weight off the fixed tracts and cover webbing. This pump will not pump ice and snow and will self destruct trying to do so. Best answer for Minnesota is that you really need both types of covers but if you can afford only one then the winter cover is more vital.
I would advise against getting a mesh winter cover, or even a solid cover with mesh drain panel, if you have any trees near your pool, which blow leaves on to your cover. They let in tons of fine dirt/debris from leaves. It makes for a very dirty pool come opening season.

As for having only 1 type of cover, get the automatic cover. And buy yourself a $200 silver solid cover which rests on the water, and is held in place with water bags. It's cheap, and you can let it fill up with snow with no issues. Put in an automatic cover pump, and you are good to go.

I would advise against getting a mesh winter cover, or even a solid cover with mesh drain panel, if you have any trees near your pool, which blow leaves on to your cover. They let in tons of fine dirt/debris from leaves. It makes for a very dirty pool come opening season.

As for having only 1 type of cover, get the automatic cover. And buy yourself a $200 silver solid cover which rests on the water, and is held in place with water bags. It's cheap, and you can let it fill up with snow with no issues. Put in an automatic cover pump, and you are good to go.
Yes, you are correct on the mesh cover. We have one tree near the pool and it's the bane of my existence. Pool is filthy when opened every year but the auto cover hasn't worked for 10 years. Pool guys told me I have to buy a new auto cover motor first and then see what happens. I'm buying a lottery ticket this week :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.