Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Low pH and High TA

1. Back To Top    #1

Low pH and High TA

I've been successfully using TFPC since opening my 1 year old pool. Now it's time to fix the water in my husband's hot tub. The water is being drained as I type. The source will be well water that has been treated for drinking. I know how to adjust FC, CH, CYA and Borates but how do you recommend I tackle high TA given my very low pH? Per pool-math 11 ounces of muriatic acid would decrease TA 140ppm but isn't my pH too low for that?

FILL WATER PH and TA
    pH below scale 6.8? (goal 7.5)
    TA 190 (goal 50)

COMPLETE FILL WATER TEST RESULT
    FC 0 (goal 4)
    pH below scale 6.8? (goal 7.5)
    TA 190 (goal 50)
    CH 10 (goal 100)
    CYA 0 (goal 50)
    Borates 0 (goal 50)
    36K gal IG Diamondbrite, IntelliFlo VSOM 3HP Pump, Clean & Clear Plus Cartridge Filter, HeatPro 140K BTU Heat Pump, AquaRite AQR15 SWG, Built 1/16-4/16, no H20 restrictions; Hotspring Limelight Flair 310 gal hot tub

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Low pH and High TA

First you want to increase the pH without effecting TA. A good way to do that is with aeration because it's free and only increases pH. For the health of your plaster and heater, increasing pH is priority #1 though. If aeration from the jets and such don't seem to be elevating pH quick enough, then you can use soda ash or borax as noted on the TFP Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals page. Once the pH climbs-up to 7.8, then you can start tackling the TA little by little by following the instructions listed on the TFP Pool School - Lower Total Alkalinity page.

As always, don't forget to balance your CYA and FC for sanitation.

Hope that helps.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Texas Splash, thanks for the advice. I have a bottle of pH up that my hubby had been using. Do you know if pH up would raise my TA more than Borax for the same amount increase in pH?
    36K gal IG Diamondbrite, IntelliFlo VSOM 3HP Pump, Clean & Clear Plus Cartridge Filter, HeatPro 140K BTU Heat Pump, AquaRite AQR15 SWG, Built 1/16-4/16, no H20 restrictions; Hotspring Limelight Flair 310 gal hot tub

4. Back To Top    #4

pH-UP is likely soda ash. You do not want to do that.

Just run the jets on your tub for a while. The naturally high TA will raise the pH quickly. No need to add chemicals and you don't want to use borates right away as that just makes it harder to reduce TA.

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

5. Back To Top    #5

Thank you. I will try aeration.