Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hello, from Katy Texas

1. Back To Top    #1

Cool Hello, from Katy Texas

Hello,

My wife and I are in the process of having our pool built. Stats are in my signature. I have a ton of questions, but I guess I'll wait until the pool is finished and we go through "pool school" with our contractor.

We just recently finished the "Acid Start-up" and kicked the pump on Thursday evening. I have only tested the pH since I have that kit for my fish tanks and it's still pretty acidic 6.0 range.

I've attached some images and looking forward to learning a lot from all of you and sharing the knowledge!

Jarred and Caroline
    18.5k gal, IG, Quartzscape Aruba Sky Caribbean, Hayward Cartridge, 2.5HP Hayward Tri-Star VS (3 - Pool/Spa, Waterfall/Slide, Weeping Rocks), Apr 2017 install, Taylor 2006 Test Kit, 6x9 Spa w/Hayward 400k BTU, Hayward Omnilogic 8, Hayward Tigershark Robot

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Hello, from Katy Texas

Welcome to TFP! Nice pool!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

Holy smokes! Wow. Very nice. Welcome to TFP JC! Great to have you with us. Listen, with that new plaster it's imperative you test your water accurately on your own. I recommend the TF-100 (link below) but the Taylor K-2006C is a good test kit as well. With new plaster, you must keep that pH between 7.2 and 7.8 - preferably in the middle. FC and CYA testing will also be extremely important (to avoid algae) which is part of those kits. For that wonderful investment, please make that a priority. If you have any questions about TFP or the pages we offer for assistance, let us know. Great to have you with us.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

All those water features are going to cause your pH to rise. They do need to have chlorinated water run thru them daily to avoid stagnant water in the pipes, but you don't have to run them continuously. Play with the valves to turn them off now and then.

New plaster also tends to require a lot of pH adjustments too

Just making mention of all this so that you're aware and know its normal. Stock up on a gallon or two of muriatic acid... you'll need some. Don't store it near any chlorine product. Store it outside if possible away from metals.

Congrats on the new pool! Looks great!

Yip
    Maddie :) 12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Skippy's Pool Cooler --> Skippy's New Fountain Our Build --> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard

5. Back To Top    #5

Thank you Texas Splash and YippeeSkippy. I'll talk to my pool guy today. One of my water features is down right now (weeping rocks) because one of the contractors stepped on the valve stem and busted a pipe. I'll make sure to have it running again as soon as its fixed.

We are probably still a couple of weeks from everything being finished, but I'll start monitoring the water quality!
    18.5k gal, IG, Quartzscape Aruba Sky Caribbean, Hayward Cartridge, 2.5HP Hayward Tri-Star VS (3 - Pool/Spa, Waterfall/Slide, Weeping Rocks), Apr 2017 install, Taylor 2006 Test Kit, 6x9 Spa w/Hayward 400k BTU, Hayward Omnilogic 8, Hayward Tigershark Robot

6. Back To Top    #6

Spray decking completed yesterday! Still waiting on pergola cover, grass replacement in front yard, quote for rocks in backyard with stepping stones, equipment overhead light, some small sharp/rough spots on slide handle fixed, pool setup completely with the control system and pool school, grout holes fixed, repair driveway(small spot they messed up with our driveway extension), fire pit rocks and glass, all returns and bubbler covers, light cover came off and needs to be put back on, auto fill set up, tile finish at fire pit at gas connection, everything cleaned off and put back on patio.
    It's so nice looking at the pool , wish we could get in though and know how to use it! Hopefully they will finish it all up soon!

We have decided to do landscaping behind the pool on our own since he hasn't given us a quote and we have been waiting on it for about a month now. We wanted to go with them if price was reasonable because they have done such great work so far, but getting tired of waiting at this point. We already finish up week 9 tomorrow since excavation day.

Here are more pics:
    Before