Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What Materials to Surround AGP With?

1. Back To Top    #1

What Materials to Surround AGP With?

We are looking for options for landscaping or whatever materials you all use around your AGP. We have a deck around half of our pool, and so far just clay dirt at the base of the other half. We originally thought we might put some shrubs around it, but I'm finding that we need to get right up to the pool edge for vacuuming and cleaning, etc. Wondering if other owners build the soil up next to the pool side? Any pictures with different options would be appreciated.
    AG Doughboy 16x28', Opened June 2016
    Aquaview 20" filter w 7 position valve
    1-1/2 hp Powerline Pump
    TF-100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What Materials to Surround AGP With?

If you go to Pinterest and search on "Above Ground Pools" you'll see a mess of pics with ideas.

Yip
    Maddie :) 12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Skippy's Pool Cooler --> Skippy's New Fountain Our Build --> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

I originally tried rubber mulch, but it was too light and ended up all over the yard. Replaced it with river pebbles and have been very happy with them.

25000 gallon free-form gunite
    Jandy Stealth pump/CL340 cartridge filter
    Pentair IC40 SWG
    Pentair MasterTemp 250HD heater
    Jandy AquaLink RS automation

4. Back To Top    #4

Do y'all put some physical barrier between this surrounding material and the pool liner itself? I don't want river rocks scooting underneath my pool...
    Round Intex 16' x 48" UltraFrame, 1/2hp SandPro 50D pump, put up June 2016

5. Back To Top    #5

Yes! Generally plastic edging! I also have river rock around mine.
    Just be sure that you dig out and put a little sand - tamp it down- then weed fabric and then the river rock. I added steppingstones to stand on while vacuuming.
    ALSO*** slope the base away from your pool so not to pool water around it and create a mosquito breeding ground. Yuk!
    Good luck. I'll post pics if I can find a second.

We have a 15'x48" Pro Series above ground pool - with salt water filter system!!! Year 7 and I'm trying to get more creative ... Really wish we could keep it up year round!

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Supermommys4 View Post
    Yes! Generally plastic edging! I also have river rock around mine.
    Just be sure that you dig out and put a little sand - tamp it down- then weed fabric and then the river rock. I added steppingstones to stand on while vacuuming.
    ALSO*** slope the base away from your pool so not to pool water around it and create a mosquito breeding ground. Yuk!
    Good luck. I'll post pics if I can find a second.
    The purpose of the sand & tamping is to prevent it just being a muddy collections of rock *

We have a 15'x48" Pro Series above ground pool - with salt water filter system!!! Year 7 and I'm trying to get more creative ... Really wish we could keep it up year round!

7. Back To Top    #7

We are in the same boat. Looks to me like an advantage to the Doughboy pools is any of them can be buried. I'm thinking this makes grading a whole lot easier since we can have dirt up against our pool and not void the warranty. Right now we have a muddy mess that isn't draining away from the pool. I may add a few hostas to soften the look after our dog is trained to stop digging everytime the Dolphin is running and we are out of sight. I've also found that using plastic hot tub steps are a great way to clean on the side without a deck--easy to move where you need them and not high enough for our 3 year old to get to the water.
    AGP 11,800 gallon 2015 Doughboy Autumn Breeze 16x28x52" with deep end, solid blue expandable vinyl liner, new 7/27/2017 Doughbly Powerline XP I Dual speed 1 1/2 hp pump model 0-3596-200, Aquaview sand filter 24", Doughboy Stairwaves pool stairs, Ruud/Raypak Propane Heater Model 156 set at 85 degrees in Iowa. TF-100, Pool Math app, 9/2016 Maytronics Dolphin Nautilus Plus, Speed Stir

8. Back To Top    #8

Since they dug an extra 18 inches when they put the pool in, we put down barrier fabric, then sand, tamped it down, and topped it off with a delivery of 1" - 3" river rock. We get pretty fierce storms here and I'm not about to have smaller size stone that can blow around. We put a landscaping edge to keep it in and neat. Went around the equipment too. It also keeps the kids from walking right up near the pool. Now we need to figure out a deck... UGH.
    AGP: June 2016 - 24' x 54" Morada, Blue Torrent Guardian 19" sand filter w/Nature 2 mineral system