Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hiding Pool Equipment Need Suggestions

1. Back To Top    #1

Hiding Pool Equipment Need Suggestions

Hi,

We are having our pool constructed now and have just gotten the equipment in -- pump, heater, fountain valves and soon propane tanks. It's a bigger footprint than expected, what do most folks do for camouflage while still allowing access? Fencing, landscaping, both? We are not fans of the white PVC fencing/lattice work, anyone have other suggestions on things that work well?

Thanks!

Pool build in progress -- 415sq feet, 3 - 6'6 ft, grecian design, bluestone coping, tile/plaster TBD, leaning toward blue tile/gray plaster.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Hiding Pool Equipment Need Suggestions

I'm interested in this too. Initial thought is a 4' shadow box cedar fence around 3 sides. Curious what others have done and if they put a top on it.

36,000 Gallon Inground (IG) Gunite Pool with Spa and 12" tanning ledge | White Plaster | Cartridge Filter | Hayward Single Speed Pump (x2) | 400k BTU Hayward Heater | Hayward ProLogic Automation | Taylor K2006 Test Kit | In-pool Cleaner | August / September 2016 Build Date | Build Thread

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

I did mine out of fens boards I don't have a photo of it taken apart but the 2 sections drop onto hooks, between vertical posts that are cemented in the ground. For everyday access I just lift one panel out, if I am cleaning the filter i take the lattice work lid off and lift both panels out. Some day I may do something with hinges but for now this works each panel is around 30 to 35 LB. There is an intentional gap around the bottom for air flow.

IMG_1389.JPG
    12,300 Gallon, IG PebbleFina, 3 ft sheer, 2 Jandy nicheless LED lights, Jandy Pro 1.5HP VS pump (A.O. Smith Motor), PB4-60 Booster pump, Polaris 280, Jandy cv340 cartridge filter, Zodiac Z4 control panel W/iAquaLink, Stenner pumps for chlorine & MA connected to WiOn WiFi switches, TF-100. You can support TFP with AmazonSmile just click the link!

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by atttech-2 View Post
    I did mine out of fens boards I don't have a photo of it taken apart but the 2 sections drop onto hooks, between vertical posts that are cemented in the ground. For everyday access I just lift one panel out, if I am cleaning the filter i take the lattice work lid off and lift both panels out. Some day I may do something with hinges but for now this works each panel is around 30 to 35 LB. There is an intentional gap around the bottom for air flow.

IMG_1389.JPG
    Not sure I get it when you describe how the two sections dropping on hooks. Would you mind adding additional pictures? I love the look!

Matt- IG gunite pool and spa built Summer 2016: 32' x 20' overall with two 4' x 8' tanning ledges. 6'x6' attached spa with spillover. Depth 3' to 5' to 4'. 16.4K gal. Lueders Limestone retaining wall and coping. Equip: Pentair SVRS vari. speed pump. Pentair 60 sq. ft. DE filter. Pentair Kreepy Crawly Plat. cleaner. Pentair MasterTemp 400,000 BTU NG heater. 1.5 HP spa air blower. Nature2 Sanitizer. Taylor K-206C. My 2016 Build

5. Back To Top    #5

Ours is in a corner of our yard. Fencing the same height as the rest of the fence was used and an opening left to enter the equipment area. You can see how it bumps out in this photo...
    DSC02804.jpg
    15k IG gunite, built 1999, RiverBend Sandler, attached spa, Dolphin S200, Pentair Triton II sand filter, Wet Edge Prism Matrix in Constellation with extra ocean shells handcast, Pentair MasterTemp 400, my remodel

6. Back To Top    #6

Ours is behind a brick wall topped with a board on board cedar fence. IMG_5563.jpg
    IG ~12000 gallon 1988 freeform pool with IG spa, Hayward equip, Ecostar pump. Remodel done: NPT Arctic 1x2 tile in Lagoon w/ gray thinset & Light Pewter grout, French Gray PebbleSheen w/ grey fittings, Leuders buff eased edge limestone coping w/ Light Buff mortar, buff mastic

7. Back To Top    #7

We sanded and stained some board fencing.

Pool build spring/summer 2015. IG. 750 sq ft pool. 40 sq.ft spa. 18ft x 42ft rectangle, 31,000 gallons, SWG, DE Pentair model, 2 boosters variable speed model, heater master temp Pentair, Quartz finish Aegean Green, CoverStar Automated Pool Cover, Kreepy Krawley Platinum, TF100,SpeedStir My Build in Progress

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks so much for the great suggestions and pics, this helps a lot! I like the idea of a wall, we'll see what the budget has left over

9. Back To Top    #9

Your OP mentioned soon to come propane tanks.

Typically those are not with the pool equipment as there are minimum distance codes for being near points of combustion. Check with your propane supplier.
    I'm a black and white type of guy ... the only gray in my life is the hair on my head
    750 gal fiberglass built in spa with Hayward equipment. Pump is SP3010X15AZ Control is Aqua Plus with a T-cell-3 SWG and a H400FD Heater, Hayward C12002 cartridge filter filter

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

pad.jpg here is a photo of the panels removed the bottom 2 boards around the enclosure are attached to the vertical posts it gives the structure some rigidity. It is hard to see but if you look at the top of the posts near the wall and the top frame of the panels you will see triangle shaped boards, one drops onto the other making a hook of sorts. The other strictly aesthetic thing I did was rip the length of all the fence boards at a 5 degree angle pointing in a downward direction when viewed from the outside of the enclosure. That way when the boards shrink the gaps will not be as noticeable
    12,300 Gallon, IG PebbleFina, 3 ft sheer, 2 Jandy nicheless LED lights, Jandy Pro 1.5HP VS pump (A.O. Smith Motor), PB4-60 Booster pump, Polaris 280, Jandy cv340 cartridge filter, Zodiac Z4 control panel W/iAquaLink, Stenner pumps for chlorine & MA connected to WiOn WiFi switches, TF-100. You can support TFP with AmazonSmile just click the link!

11. Back To Top    #11

Pics are in my build thread in sig, but it is just simple posts and horizontal cedar fence pickets. Play your cards right with post settings exactly 6 feet apart and you don't have to cut anything. I was all in for about $200 6ft by 12ft but a third of that was the wood stain. Just make sure you leave a lot of room to work on the equipment and for storage.
    2016 Build: 20x30 15K Gal-IG Gunite, #4 Steel Tanning Ledge, Bubbler, Flagstone Coping, Stamped Concrete Deck, Jump Rock, Rock Waterfall, CLI Majestic Isle Pebble Finish, 3 Multi-Color LED lights, Ozone-DEL Eclipse 10, Empty Inline Tab Feeder, 2 HP Jandy Pro Series ePump with SVRS, 2 Skimmers, 6 Returns, 2 drains, 1 Cleaner Return, Jandy CV Filter 460 SF, Dolphin Nautilus+, iAqualink RS Automation, Borates, Test Kit Taylor k2006

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by atttech-2 View Post
    pad.jpg here is a photo of the panels removed the bottom 2 boards around the enclosure are attached to the vertical posts it gives the structure some rigidity. It is hard to see bur if you look at the top of the posts near the wall and the top frame of the panels you will see triangle shaped boards, one drops onto the other making a hook of sorts. The other strictly aesthetic thing I did was rip the length of all the fence boards at a 5 degree angle pointing in a downward direction when viewed from the outside of the enclosure. That way when the boards shrink the gaps will not be as noticeable
    Awesome! Thanks for posting! I get it now. That's a great design that I may very well copy!

Matt- IG gunite pool and spa built Summer 2016: 32' x 20' overall with two 4' x 8' tanning ledges. 6'x6' attached spa with spillover. Depth 3' to 5' to 4'. 16.4K gal. Lueders Limestone retaining wall and coping. Equip: Pentair SVRS vari. speed pump. Pentair 60 sq. ft. DE filter. Pentair Kreepy Crawly Plat. cleaner. Pentair MasterTemp 400,000 BTU NG heater. 1.5 HP spa air blower. Nature2 Sanitizer. Taylor K-206C. My 2016 Build

13. Back To Top    #13

great ideas, ive been looking for something to cover it aswell, my equipment is against the house and it gets sunlight all day long, I had actually thought of building a small lean-to shed (3sides only)... but something like this would be more affordable... there is a member on here that built a wall also made out of bamboo fence and it looked real good...

here is the bamboo wall fence...

https://www.troublefreepool.com/thre...pool-equipment
    2016 pool build.... 18k gal. freeform style, built in round table, 18" jumping platform, travertine coping upgrade, travertine waterline, peagravel decking, saltwater pool (no spa), Quartzscape blue., 1.5hp Pentair pump, JANDY SWG, 48sqft Pentair DE filter, TFP-100 kit w/speedstir MYPoolBuild

14. Back To Top    #14

TFP Guide

If I recall correctly the cost of materials was around $150 boards, lattice, stain, sand paper fence post concrete etc. It took 2 and half days to build because I belt sanded one side of the rough sawn boards but the sanding made all the difference it went from looking like fence boards to something more like furniture. If I had a planer I could have cut more than a day off the project. One other thing I forgot to mention was the boards were supper wet when I got them I dried them in full sun for over a month before building and I swear they lost more than 1/2 their weight. I think it paid off though I have not seen any shrinkage.