About to become a pool boy (w/ pics)...

The next important test will be the CYA. This one is real important because it will determine how much FC you need to maintain. You were told 11 based on a CYA = 100. If it is really 50, you will actually be closer to 5 for maintenance. Unfortunately, you need to do this test in sun light - so it will have to wait until tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^ Yes the only test I did with the k2006 was the FC/CC. So what other tests should I do (pls link instructions if you have them).

OK, if you haven't done so already, you will need to test for:
FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA

The test kit should have come with instructions. If not, there is a great write-up at Test Kit Extended Directions. I know its a lot of reading, but it is definitely worth it to learn the procedures. I promise the testing gets easier once you run though them a couple of times. Once you get going, you really only need to test for pH and FC often, others are weekly or less.

The CYA test needs to be done outdoors in the sun, so save that for tomorrow. If you do the CYA test and the results are above 90, then make sure you follow step #9 for the dilution test.

Ok pool lady came early in the morning and put the pucks back in, and dumped some shock in. Don't worry, this was the last time she will be out here (threw the pucks in the trash)...

Just tested again with my k2006 kit and...

CYA - 70
PH - 7.8
Chlorine - 11 drops to turn clear when filled to the 10ml line (I only did one scoop of the powder, since it turned bright pink with just one).
*Didn't test for CC since I'm sure its still zero like two days ago.

I have 120oz jugs of 8.5% Sodium Hypochlorite.

Awaiting instructions...

Dang so my FC still needs to be 10 huh? Isn't that kinda high? Don't feel like taking a chlorine bath every time I swim...

And the only way we can use less chlorine is to lower my CYA, and the only way to do that is to drain/add fresh water?

That pretty much sums it up...according to pool math you can run from 8-10. Never below 5. But even 10 is not gonna be chlorinish. I run 7-8 all the time. In AZ you might need a little more CYA. Maybe not that much. But 40-50 wouldn't be bad. Some people I've seen here run up to 60 in the high summer.

- - - Updated - - -

How much sun does your pool get?

Hmm well I lose about an inch or two of water every week, and I have to refill to keep it midway with the skimmer. So maybe after a few weeks/months my cya will go down?

Ok I will shoot for a target of 10. Do I need to run the pump when I dump the chlorine in? Or can I do it now (night)?

*pool gets lots of sun (Vegas). Although the late evening sun is shaded a bit by the back wall...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hmm well I lose about an inch or two of water every week, and I have to refill to keep it midway with the skimmer. So maybe after a few weeks/months my cya will go down?

When I first got it CYA was 50. Now it's down to 40. I lose a lot of water to evaporation because it's windy here most of the time and I have a huge water surface.

OK cool yeah we get lots of wind too. So hopefully in a month or so my CYA will be down a bit...

Unfortunately, evaporation does not change your CYA level. With evaporation, water and only water goes away into the air. CYA, CH, Salt all stay and in fact become more concentrated! (that's why oceans are so salty). CYA will drift down a couple of ppm a month through natural breakdown, but not quick enough to really consider.

What you are probably noticing is splash out or backwashing if you have a sand filter. When water gets splashed out or backwashed out the filter, it is taking CYA laden water with it. Then you refill with fresh water with no CYA. And you notice your CYA going down over the course of a month.

At CYA=70, it is a bit high but is in a manageable range that you could let drift down over time. Yes your FC will be dosed to 10ppm, but with the CYA in there it will not be harsh or bothersome at all. The CYA buffers the FC so that only a small portion is "free" with the rest held in reserve. Do a search for Chlorine & CYA buffer if you want to know more about this.

- - - Updated - - -

Dang so my FC still needs to be 10 huh? Isn't that kinda high? Don't feel like taking a chlorine bath every time I swim...

And the only way we can use less chlorine is to lower my CYA, and the only way to do that is to drain/add fresh water?

Also, you will not necessarily use more chlorine by having it at 10ppm. You will still consume about the same as if you have a lower CYA/FC. Your day to day chlorine dose will be to replenish the 2-3 ppm lost to the sun and killing the bad stuff.

I did backwash a couple times. I add water every day. I should probably get checked for leaks too. It sure seems like I have to add a lot of water, but I'm not sure what normal is.

I don't think I have any leaks though because when the winter cover was taken off, the water was still up to the skimmers.

That's way too much. I got it at Lowes for $8. And I saw it at Atwood's for $2 last Sunday. At Lowes it's in the paint dept. At Atwood's it's with the pool stuff. I've only added MA one time in 6 weeks and it was just short of a gallon. Pools are all different though. Just get one jug. That should last you a while.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.