Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Second season: Where to begin???

1. Back To Top    #1

Second season: Where to begin???

As a new pool owner last year TFP got me up and running and after a short learning curve I had a totally trouble free season!

I still have a lot to learn but have a general knowledge as to how to manage the various levels.

When I closed last year everything was right in line. I am opening this weekend and looking on some guidance to make this years opening a bit smoother.

Just pulled the cover and tested (after a Massachusetts winter) I was a little surprised by my opening test results:

FC - O (no surprise)
    CH - 75 (was 275)
    TA - 40 (was 90)
    PH - 7.2 (was 7.5)
    CYA - 0 (was 60ish)

Last year I had 0 CYA at opening and ammonia and had to SLAM pretty hard to get through that and then brought up my CYA. Assuming that the 0 CYA means same issue?
    The drop in TA and CH surprised me a bit, never had any issues there.

Any advice as to where to begin is GREATLY appreciated.

Tim
    - 28,000 gallon (16'x40' - 9' at deep end) gunite
    - Sta-Rite DE 60 sq/ft filter
    - AquaComfort Heatpump
    - Haywood SP2302 Variable Speed Pump
    - Aquarite AQR15 SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Second season: Where to begin???

The 0 CYA may not be ammonia... I have to add mine every Spring but since you know, do the 10 min test first with bleach before adding any!!

Christina
    ~14,000gal 14x30 IG vinyl, Hayward DE4820 filter (everything else is too old to read lol), TF100 Test Kit, TFPC method
    POOL SCHOOL, ABC'S of WATER CHEMISTRY, POOL MATH, SUPPORT TFP!!, TEST KIT!

3. Back To Top    #3

Question: did you allow the water to circulate before testing? Rain and snowmelt could be stratified on top, and naturally, they'll be low on CH and CYA.

Second question: what's the water temperature? If it's chilly, set the sample in a windowsill or something and let it warm up before testing CYA. Cold samples don't mix well and you'll get a falsely low CYA. Also remember that below 30, pretty much everything reads as zero.

If you really think you have ammonia, spend a few bucks on an ammonia test kit at an aquarium store. It may be cheaper to replace water than eliminate ammonia with bleach, as you no doubt know firsthand.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Same climate here (although a better baseball team to root for ) in Upstate NY and i lose all of my CYA every winter and don't have ammonia so don't be so sure you do either. I had to buy a new eyeball for my return and the guy at the pool store said it was due to dilution from rain and snow which i am sure could impact your CH and TA as well.
    21,000 gallon inground
    Haywood Sand Filter
    Vinyl Liner

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    Question: did you allow the water to circulate before testing? Rain and snowmelt could be stratified on top, and naturally, they'll be low on CH and CYA.

Second question: what's the water temperature? If it's chilly, set the sample in a windowsill or something and let it warm up before testing CYA. Cold samples don't mix well and you'll get a falsely low CYA. Also remember that below 30, pretty much everything reads as zero.
    If you really think you have ammonia, spend a few bucks on an ammonia test kit at an aquarium store. It may be cheaper to replace water than eliminate ammonia with bleach, as you no doubt know firsthand.
    I did not allow water to circulate. And it was so cold my sample was about wrist deep...if that (i can hardly type right now). Just got everything running and will let it circulate over night and retest.
    The more i look at the water it is MUCH less green than last year. I may have jumped the gun on the self ammonia diagnosis.

I REALLY appreciate the great advice! Will add some Cl and let things run and warm up a bit.

Another quick question. Just bought a new DE filter cartridge. Was thinking I should let things recirculate while I bring up FC for a bit before adding DE and running filter to prevent algae getting into filter. Is that crazy and should I just let it fill and run?

Same climate here (although a better baseball team to root for ) in Upstate NY and i lose all of my CYA every winter and don't have ammonia so don't be so sure you do either. I had to buy a new eyeball for my return and the guy at the pool store said it was due to dilution from rain and snow which i am sure could impact your CH and TA as well.
    Ship of Fools. that's interesting - thanks. It seems like its not such a bad thing starting at 0 each year (rather than facing a drain or huge FC levels). On the baseball front, let's talk in October!!

Thank you all so much.

Tim
    - 28,000 gallon (16'x40' - 9' at deep end) gunite
    - Sta-Rite DE 60 sq/ft filter
    - AquaComfort Heatpump
    - Haywood SP2302 Variable Speed Pump
    - Aquarite AQR15 SWG

6. Back To Top    #6

Recirculate or filter, no difference. All that crud in the pool will have to come out eventually. The important thing is not to run the filter without DE in it. Otherwise the fabric will get stuff embedded in it that will never flush out.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by TF Tim View Post
    Ship of Fools. that's interesting - thanks. It seems like its not such a bad thing starting at 0 each year (rather than facing a drain or huge FC levels). On the baseball front, let's talk in October!!

Thank you all so much.

Tim
    Deal .... although by October i'm guessing you will be immersed in football ..... which as a Bills fan i will not!
    21,000 gallon inground
    Haywood Sand Filter
    Vinyl Liner