New above ground owner making chemical system decision

How long do I need to wait after adding chemicals to retest? I put in bleach, CYA, and dry acid about 4 hours ago. The pump has been running on high. I retested and the chlorine level hasn't moved. I was suprised how little bleach I was supposed to add to start. So I'm not too surprised at the results. But do I need to wait longer before testing and adding the next round? Here are my new test results:

AG vinyl round 24' diameter, 52" high (48" water depth!)
FC .5
TC 1
CC .5
pH 7.5
TA 40
CH 175
CYA 25

Save your CYA reagent, unless you added the liquid kind, it will take up to a full week to fully register.

The acid, that timeframe was fine, your PH looks good. Your TA is a tad low, you can raise it with some baking soda.

For the chlorine, go ahead and raise some more, what level were you targeting/how much bleach did you add?

For the chlorine, go ahead and raise some more, what level were you targeting/how much bleach did you add?

The calculator for the initial test said to add just 73 ounces. Since it was a fresh fill, I went ahead and added a whole 6% 96 oz. I am targeting 3, which was autopopulated in the calculator when I selected TFP goal levels. Now the calculator says to add 70 oz 6%. I'm still surprised at how little.

How long should I wait after adding bleach to retest chlorine assuming the pump is running on high?

30 minutes. :wink:

As your CYA increases, so will your FC levels - refer to the chart. If your water looks cloudy or green, go ahead and target a FC of 10 JIC algae is trying to get hold. Edit: For now I would use 6 as your target for dosing.

You will lose FC quickly during the day until the CYA starts to work. Check morning and night until you get a feel for your daily FC loss. On average its around 2ppm per day with typical CYA levels, more or less YMMV. Many factors, sun exposure, solar covers, bather loads, etc.

tmpfeifer said:
How long should I wait after adding bleach to retest chlorine assuming the pump is running on high?
Wait 30-60 minutes to check that you hit your target. You want it to be long enough for it to circulate but not so long you'll have lost much through consumption.
--paulr

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.