Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: USG Pool Motor Humming

1. Back To Top    #1

USG Pool Motor Humming

My dilemma. Opened the pool early this year - I'm currently slamming it. 2.5 year old US Motors 1.0 HP pump working fine until a storm rolled in two days ago. Emptied the skimmer basket which was full of pollen and tree gunk - forgot to check the basket at the motor until the morning. Shut off the pump, emptied the basket that was almost clogged.. motor won't kick on. Clicks, with a humm and then shuts off. Removed it - shaft moves freely. Can't get it to turn up. Am I doomed to replacing with another motor? I called the store that installed it and they told me some motors only last 1.5 years. No way. Is it the capacitor, exactly what is a capacitor? Pix of the motor & shiny inside attached! Help??
    Doreen
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: USG Pool Motor Humming

Most likely a bad starting capacitor. If the motor doesnt trip out immediatley, that will likely be the problem. The silver round can like thing shown in your picture is the capacitor. Worth a relativley small investment to see. Most can be bought online for 10-12 dollars.
    18,000 gunite pool/spa combo. Pebble tec, iaqualink rs8, cl580 filter, aquapure 1400, 400k btu lx heater, 10 solar panels, jandy 1hp, 1 1/2hp, and 2hp stealth pumps for circ, spa, waterfall

3. Back To Top    #3

1 discharge the capacitor before you touch it -- or you will remember this too much -- look at several you tube videos on changing capacitors.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

4. Back To Top    #4

The capacitor will discharge through the windings unless the windings open while running. If the capacitor is charged, the motor is probably bad.

Also, you have black and red power wires. That's usually 230 volts, but it looks like your selector switch is set to 115 volts.

You should measure supply voltage and make sure that the selector is set correctly.
    Support the site

Trouble Free Pool is a free resource. The people who answer questions are volunteers. If you find the site to be a good resource, please consider making a donation to help support the site. Thanks.

5. Back To Top    #5

The capacitor was bad - replaced it and checked the voltage to be sure. We're back in business! Thank you all for the advice. I suppose I may have to add electrician along with chemist to my resume since I got this pool! Saved a couple hundred dollars.
    1970 Buster Crabbe 20 x 40 vinyl in-ground
    Hayward Swim Pure SWG
    Hayward ST44T Sand Filter

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by BabsMazz View Post
    The capacitor was bad - replaced it and checked the voltage to be sure. We're back in business! Thank you all for the advice. I suppose I may have to add electrician along with chemist to my resume since I got this pool! Saved a couple hundred dollars.
    Saved that much!? Wow.

Well, there's always
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

What is the supply voltage?

What is the selector set to?
    Support the site

Trouble Free Pool is a free resource. The people who answer questions are volunteers. If you find the site to be a good resource, please consider making a donation to help support the site. Thanks.

8. Back To Top    #8

The selector switch does look like its set on 115 vts but wiring looks like it's 220.
    18,000 gunite pool/spa combo. Pebble tec, iaqualink rs8, cl580 filter, aquapure 1400, 400k btu lx heater, 10 solar panels, jandy 1hp, 1 1/2hp, and 2hp stealth pumps for circ, spa, waterfall

9. Back To Top    #9

If you're measuring 230 volts line to line, the selector should be set to 230.

Do you have a volt meter?
    Support the site

10. Back To Top    #10

Voltage is 115 - If the wiring was 220 and the dip switch was set to 115 would it even start up?
    1970 Buster Crabbe 20 x 40 vinyl in-ground
    Hayward Swim Pure SWG
    Hayward ST44T Sand Filter