Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Question about installing pool pump motor back together with new seal plate

1. Back To Top    #1

Question about installing pool pump motor back together with new seal plate

I will be reinstalling my pool pump and motor with a new seal plate this weekend and I had a few questions before I get started, I've attached pictures to see what it looked like before I took it apart:

1) When putting it back together, I'm assuming I will first need to attach the new seal plate, impeller, and diffuser to the motor mount plate FIRST, then attach that whole setup to the pump right?

2) The seal plate gasket...do I need to lubricate the whole thing or put it in the seal plate groove and then lubricate just the side of the gasket that faces the pump?

3) Diffuser o-ring...same question as above, do I lubricate the entire o-ring or do I just put it on the diffuser and then lubricate the outer portion?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    15k Gallon In Ground Saltwater Gunite Pool and Spa w/ Overflow
    Dolphin S200 Pool Cleaner
    Main Filter Pump - 1.5HP Pentair Whisperflo connected to Triton II Sand Filter
    Spa Pump - 2HP Pentair Whisperflo w/ 2HP Polaris Spa Air Blower
    Resilience PSC3 SWCG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Question about installing pool pump motor back together with new seal plate

I'd grease up everything. O-rings deform and slide around to create the seal. Lubricating them helps them move easily. If you do it when it's cool, the lube also acts as a glue to hold the O-ring in place on the plate while you're wrestling it into position.

The shaft seal I'm not sure about. I'd certainly grease up the inside but I'm not sure about the outside.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Question about installing pool pump motor back together with new seal plate

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    I'd grease up everything. O-rings deform and slide around to create the seal. Lubricating them helps them move easily. If you do it when it's cool, the lube also acts as a glue to hold the O-ring in place on the plate while you're wrestling it into position.

The shaft seal I'm not sure about. I'd certainly grease up the inside but I'm not sure about the outside.
    I wasn't planning on lubricating the shaft seal (was told not to). I was only panning on lubricating the seal plate gasket and o-ring diffuser.
    15k Gallon In Ground Saltwater Gunite Pool and Spa w/ Overflow
    Dolphin S200 Pool Cleaner
    Main Filter Pump - 1.5HP Pentair Whisperflo connected to Triton II Sand Filter
    Spa Pump - 2HP Pentair Whisperflo w/ 2HP Polaris Spa Air Blower
    Resilience PSC3 SWCG