Another just getting started thread

Apr 20, 2017
Maryland
Hi all,
I've been trolling this website since last summer when we decided to get a pool installed which was just finished in the winter.

I distrust the company that installed my pool to do any kind of maintenance and I am hoping to get some pointers here. I've run into a bit of trouble with the TA/pH already, likely from rookie mistakes.

About a week ago, a few days after the pool company opened the pool, I tested and found basically everything off, the most striking thing was a TA of 250. I then tried to fix things individually (shocked to a FC of 31, added Borax to bring up the pH, added muriatic acid to bring down the TA, added CYA but put in too much and had to replace 25% of the water). I was basically following the pool calculator but still have results that aren't quite right. For the past few days I have been doing nothing but running my pump and aerating.

My test results now show:
FC: 8.0
CC: 0
pH: 6.8
TA: 110
CH:150
CYA: 70
Borate: 65
Salt: 3300

So I am happy with my FC/CC, but the pH is persistently low despite aerating (and this didn't change with replacing the pool water), the TA is still a little high but I am afraid to add more acid until my pH goes up some more. I am a little lost as to what my priorities should be, should I even worry about a TA of 110? Should I get the pH back up at the cost of TA? For what its worth, my water has been crystal clear throughout the whole process.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, after the past 10 days I feel like a dog chasing its own tale.

Thanks,
Mark

In my opinion, everything looks pretty good short of the low pH. I would just continue to aerate to get the pH up. Generally the lower TA is recommended since a higher TA will cause pH to rise quickly so I wouldn't worry about that for now. You are probably not at swimming temp yet so no cannonballs, but any efforts to increase aeration would be worth it. Your borates are fighting your pH rise some. I think borates are usually recommended once TA/pH is solid where you want them. But no harm, I think you are well ahead of the curve and these levels will all settle out soon enough.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.