Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: pH keeps creeping up to 8+

1. Back To Top    #1

pH keeps creeping up to 8+

I test in the winter just pH an fc. It was always creeping up to 8. I'd check weekly and still have high pH. This spring I lowered my ta from 150 to 100 over two days by lowering pH to 7.0 then bubbling it back up. Two days after that and pH is back to 8 and ta is up 25 points. What gives?
    Fc 3.5
    Ch 375
    PH 7.6
    Ta 100
    Cya 60
    Temp 85
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Pool Finished 2013 13.5K rectangular plaster. 3.5' on ends, 5.5' in center
    Solar (connected to EasyT)
    Pentair Easytouch 4 Two Body System w/ remote
    Pentair 3HP VS pump, IC40 SWG, 150 Cartridge Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: pH keeps creeping up to 8+

Keep lowering that TA. You'll have more stable pH with a TA below 80. Go as low as 50-60 ppm. TA cannot go up without chemical addition (or in refill water). Likely just a minor testing error/variation.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

3. Back To Top    #3

Got any water features causing a lot of little splashes? That's one way... How about the SWG? Some folks find that causes pH drift up. 30 kids playing in the pool daily??

Bring your TA down to about 80 and see if that helps.

Yip
    Maddie :) 12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Skippy's Pool Cooler --> Skippy's New Fountain Our Build --> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard

4. Back To Top    #4

I agree. I did add enough acid to drop pH to 7.0. I'll keep doing this until ta is 80. You guys are always spot on with advice

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Do you have an autofill setup?
    Bob - INTEX 12x24 owner (not setup yet), 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir