Pool opened by pool builder and I have some questions

Feb 28, 2017
Danbury,CT
Monday my cover was removed and water crystal clear. Pool was filled in November and solid cover was put on it. The filter was installed and is now running. So I told the pool builder tech that I bought some chlorine pucks and a chlorine floater so I can get the CYA up and then I told him I will be using the BBB method that I learned here.

He then told me that I should not use the floater because the pucks will stain the liner. He then said if I am going to use the pucks to only put them in the skimmer. So from what I have learned here that you should never put pucks in skimmer because when the filter is off the chlorine still dissolves and you get a rush of chlorine in the filter and heater. My first question is, will putting in a floater (until I start using liquid) stain the liner ?

I mentioned using bleach. He then said that Clorox bleach is to harsh to use. He said that they use only lithium based chlorine which is the only chlorine that I should use in order to not stain the liner. My second question is what is lithium based chlorine ?

My third question. I am afraid to stain the liner. How can I prevent that ? When I pour in bleach or liquid chlorine can it stain the liner ?

He also said that once a week I should throw some shock in. They still have to give me orientation so I am curious what other false info to expect.

thank you

Hey! Welcome! Here at TFP we do not advocate the use of pucks for routine chlorination for newbies as they can raise your CYA which can render your CL ineffective (read Pool School on button above). The sun will stain your liner faster than any chemicals will. When using bleach gently pour it in with the bleach bottle submerged in the water in front of a return while pump is on. Never heard of lithium based chlorine. You'll have to read a lot here, but if you stick to it you will be able to maintain your pool by yourself.

The issue with pucks in the skimmer is when the pump is off, the water in the skimmer exposed to the dissolving pucks becomes very acidic. Then you go turn the pump on and the pump, gaskets, etc is all blasted with a very large bolus of acidic water. Its just not good for the equipment.

If you choose to put them in the skimmer, keep the pump running steadily to avoid the problem. The floater is built for just the purpose of avoiding pucks coming in contact with the liner. If you're going to use them, and we really prefer that newbies don't use multi-chemical items at first, use the floater.

Keep a close eye on your CYA level so that you don't overshoot your goal. CYA is one of those problem children that require some water draining to lower the level. You can use PoolMath to help you plan how many pucks you can safely use.

Yippee :flower:

So I cant believe that the pool guy would tell me to put them in the skimmer. I only got 5 lbs of Clorox Pool and Spa Xtra Blue 3" Long-Lasting Chlorinating Tablets. I have the TF-100 test kit so will keep an eye on CYA. After that go to liquid Chlorine or bleach.

Uh oh..... can you take those pucks back for a refund?? Clorox XtraBlue products contain copper which we never advise folks to put in their pool.

Copper causes stains, green hair and other problems. Best avoided at all costs.

Yippee :flower:

When you take those back, just get some plain ole bleach and go to Lowes or some place like that to get your CYA. They sell it in their pool supply area. Pool math can tell you how much you need, weigh it out, put it in a sock in front of a return and let it dissolve.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.