Can't Find Waste or Drain to Lower Water Level

salty87

Gold Supporter
Jan 31, 2017
Texas Hill Country
I have the opportunity to pump a couple thousand gallons of rainwater out of our drinking water storage tank. We need to perform some maintenance requiring a lower water level. This works out well as Pool Math tells me draining 1/3+ will help reduce CYA and CH levels (currently 60 & 450 respectively). I don't think we'll drain that much but since the tank needs to be lowered this is a good chance to make a dent.

So, the pump is a Jandy Pro Series E Pump with a CV series Jandy filter (CV580) which I understand is a cartridge filter. There's no sign of any sort of waste setting or drain. There are no pipes leading into the woods (we're in the middle of nowhere), no backflow valves.

There is a drain at the bottom of the filter, marked DRAIN. This mostly likely is to drain the pump, not the pool. Their instructions talk about draining the filter and don't mention anything about whether it's ok or not to drain more than the pump.

A submersible pump would do the job but if the pool pump can too I'd rather go that route.

Thoughts?

Yeah, unfortunately our cartridge filters don't have a great way to pump out water like those with a multiport valve. Some filters have a small water spigot valve at the bottom to release sediment and such, but it's small and slow-going. Yours appears to have that drainage port, but I'm not sure what size it is, or if you can even connect a hose to it. A sump pump of some sort might be the way to go if you're in a hurry. If you're not rushed and can get a siphon going based on your water line and yard height, perhaps start a couple hoses that way ... for free. :)

If you have a low spot to drain water to, just use a hose and make a simple siphon out of it. Fill the hose with water and lay the distal end in the low spot of the yard and the proximal end in the pool. It will start siphoning and its next to free! Just keep an eye on it so you don't go too low.

Make sure you close your skimmer off to avoid all the air getting in the lines.

Yippee :flower:

Syphoning it will be.

We have a grove of oak trees that wouldn't mind a drink. Anyone think the bleach level would be harmful?

Not sure how to close the skimmer. Is this done with the valves near the pump?

Attachments

• IMG_2247.jpg
    IMG_2247.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 26
The roots the Oaks should be okay. Grass can be a little funny sometimes, but trees should be okay. There should be a valve just before the pump that is used to adjust or close-off water flow from the skimmer. If it's not marked, you may need to experiment with the valve positions.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.