Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: new pool up today...what do I do??

1. Back To Top    #1

new pool up today...what do I do??

I have been reading pool school but I wanted an opinion. I have a new 24'AG filling with water now. My electrician cannot get here for 6 days to wire up the twist lock for my pump. Should I try to come up with a makeshift adaptor and use a heavy duty 12 gauge extension cord intil then? Or do you think I could let it sit that long with no filter and just add some bleach? Thanks for any help.

24' round.52". 13,500 gallons? Sand filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: new pool up today...what do I do??

Congratulations!
    We had this same exact problem last year! Because the plug on the filter has a twist lock you need to get an extension that connects to that. I found on online for about $12 and then used an extension cord to connect to that. just be sure to unplug if anyone goes swimming!
    Sharkline 18x33 54"AG, Hayward 1.5hp Perflex D.E., TF-100 test kit

Finally....a pool of our own!

3. Back To Top    #3

You really do need some kind of circulation. Hotwire the pump, sump pump that drains back into the pool, canoe paddles.... you want the bleach mixed in pretty well and some circulation every day.
    --paulr
    BBB "Intermediate Swimmer"
    IG plaster pool 18.5K gal, Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter, 3/4 HP Hydramax II; Polaris 380, 3/4 HP booster
    AG spa 325 gal, probably Sundance of some kind
    Water testing instructions on one page

4. Back To Top    #4

I second the advice - use the pump if you can for circulation when adding chemicals/filtration purposes but do not swim in the pool with the pump running/plugged in to avoid any electrical issues.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks thats what I figured. My husband said "no, it will be fine" I didn't think so. Another question I have is the pool package included an inline chlorinator and the "jumbo slo pokes". Should I use this for startup or just skip it and go straight to adding bleach? I also need to raise my PH first. Should I use borax or PH UP? I have both. Which is better?

All I have now is....

FC 0
    Ph 6.1
    CYA 0

6. Back To Top    #6

What's your TA?

I'm not familiar with jumbo slo pokes. Does it list the active ingredient? Are those trichlor tabs?

You're best bet is get some seperate Cyanuric Acid from the pool store or walmart, etc., stores that have pool sections, and then use bleach. The CYA will protect the FC from sunlight destruction - the tablets don't build up that level fast enough to offer any protection. Plus they lower PH.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

7. Back To Top    #7

Yes the slo pokes are trichlor tabs. I definately don't want anything that will lower my PH so I will stay away from those.

The pool calculator isn't working on my blackberry, could someone tell me how much 6% bleach to add to 13,500 gallons for startup?

Thank you so much!
    I appreciate any help.

8. Back To Top    #8

I believe it's 84oz if your cya is 0. if you haven't added any cya, then it is 0. bear in mind your bleach will burn off real fast when the sun comes out without cya, so get some soon.
    16x32 21,000 gallon in-ground exposed aggregate, 1.5hp pump, 120 sqft catridge filter, birdcage, solar panels, aquavac tigershark qc robot.